Chapter 5: Night Of Sinners

If there was one word Wheein could use to describe Jang's Geon-do's party, it would be 'fever'. That certain state of having a burning haze inside you but you still shiver from the cold of the outside. The sharp, silent gazes of the crowd were enough to give Wheein that feverish feeling.

It didn't matter. It wasn't a problem even if the last time she was here, she was with Hyejin. Wheein ignored the hostile air surrounding her and turned to her wife.

Hanmi met Wheein's eyes. She appreciated how good Wheein really looked in a suit. She also came to the realization that her wife has not looked her in the eyes since she returned last week. It would have surprised her, if not for the fact that Wheein was colder than ice behind closed doors.

Wheein offered arm, a gesture that Hanmi responded to with eagerness, despite knowing it was just for show.

Necks turned when Hanmi and Wheein began walking towards Jang Geon-do. Everyone's attention was on them, especially Hyejin, Yongsun, and Moon Byul.

"Good to see that you made it here, Hanmi, Wheein," Geon-do greeted them with a relaxed tone, as opposed to his usual timbre of voice. He urged a server to bring the couple wine, but the two refused.

"It's not time for us to drink yet, Geon-do. I'm already aware of what has happened during my absence and I am not happy about it," the smile Hanmi had disappeared and her brows furrowed.

Geon-do felt a bead of sweat trickle down his temple. He gulped and averted his eyes, glancing at Wheein instead.

Wheein had her typical demeanor-emotionless and unbothered. She eyed Geon-do before she placed her hand around Hanmi's back.

"Once this party's over, we certainly need to have a talk," Hanmi stated, taking a glass of red wine for herself.

"I-I understand," was all Geon-do could say. He bowed his head amidst the embarrassment of being scolded by someone young enough to be his grandchild.

Hanmi turned away, knowing she had said all that she had to say.

"Mr. Jang, I can only suggest that you do as my wife says," Wheein uttered and followed Hanmi.

Geon-do clenched his fist and loosened his tie. If there was anything he needed to do, it was to conspire with someone. Someone in the crowd. Someone like Kim Yongsun.

Yong stood in a corner near Moon Byul while Hyejin was talking to Park Jimin nearby. She eyed her girlfriend who had a poker face.

"Byul, you're glaring," she pointed out.

"I know that, Yong," Moon Byul uttered. She crossed her arms, her eyes as black as her suit and tie. She had all her attention on Hyejin, watching her carefully.

Hyejin had a smile on her lips, something which Moon Byul hadn't seen in a while.

What Byul did witness, was Hyejin stumbling back down alcoholism when Wheein left. For months and months, she saw Hyejin drown herself in hard liquor, just like how she did way before her father died. The alcohol took its toll- Hyejin was no longer capable to work or think properly for a while.

The only thing that gave Hyejin reason to become sober was the news that Wheein was going to be married. On the wedding day, Hyejin stopped drinking. She didn't cry either. She finally had enough. She no longer wanted to wait for Wheein to come back. Or so she tells Yongsun.

But of course, Yong knew better. She knew Hyejin still kept the flowers that Wheein had given her, despite them having already wilted and died. Not just that, Hyejin only wore dark colors now, and she only sleeps on the left side of her bed, like she was saving the space for someone. On some nights, Hyejin would drive off somewhere without a word and return shortly before midnight with red eyes.