Chapter 7: The Wind Smiles

What was your name again?” Wheein asked her wife's cousin.

The girl who sat on a couch, blinked and looked at Wheein. Chaeryeong.

Wheein crossed her arms. Chaeryeong, do you dislike your cousin?

“I don't know. Do you dislike your wife?” Chaeryeong retorted.

Can you hold on to this for me?” Wheein walked over to Chaeryoung and handed her a small device.

What's that?” the younger one queried, filled with genuine curiosity.

Tracking device,” Wheein replied.

Why are you leaving this with me?” Chaeryeong squinted her eyes and glared. You're not going out to cheat on Hanmi, are you?

Cheat.. Whatever happened last night seemed like cheating but it wasn't. Wheein shook her head. No. I have no reason to cheat on my wife.”

Chaeryeong rolled her eyes. Except that you only married her for revenge and she's seeing some other guy?” She chuckled. I'm kidding.”

Wheein gave Chaeryeong a sharp glance and uttered, “You had better be.

"Or am I?" Chaeryeong added, a mischievous grin appearing in her face. She took the device from Wheein's hand and continued, I'll take care of it, Wheein unnie. Go do your thing.

“Stay here until I get back,” Wheein ordered.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Chaeryeong rolled her eyes. She waved off while she held the tracking device in her hand.

Wheein left the compound and drove to the nearest coast. It took her more than an hour's journey to reach the place. But at last, she found herself standing in the shore, watching the sun sinking into the horizon, the sea basking in its golden light.

The skies were more orange than blue, and flocks of seagulls were flying about, their mews filling the air.

Wheein turned her head. To her left was a man, who shielded his eyes from the glistening waters. A square smile appeared in his face as he took a step forward. Wheein met him halfway, her hands on her pocket as she reached for her phone.

“Whee! You made it!”

“Wheein,” she corrected him. And yes, I'm here. You have what I requested?” Wheein reached her open hand out.

Taehyung could only scratch his head. He took out a phone from his pocket and handed it to Wheein, taking her phone in exchange. “What's your phone pass code?”

Wheein examined the new phone in her hands. Without looking up, she answered, “Her birthday.”

Taehyung typed in 10121996 and watched as he was denied access. He glanced at the woman in front of her. “Wheein, Hanmi's birthday is October 12, right?”

Her birthday.” Wheein repeated. She tried calling her phone with the one in her hand.

“Oh... Oh.. ” Taehyung nodded his head. He pressed the numbers 0,7,2,3,1,9,9, and 5 to successfully open Wheein's phone. He answered the call from Wheein and ended it.

Wheein deleted the call from the history and put the new phone in her pocket. She gazed at Taehyung with firm eyes, demanding something from him.

“What is it, Whee?” Taehyung asked. He met Wheein's eyes and turned to see that she was looking beyond him. He caught a glimpse of his car parked nearby. “You want to see her?”