Chapter 5 - Fish Blood

Shane-Pov

I walk alongside Carl and Charlie as they talk to each other. It's just Carl talking really, Charlie only nods or mutters a quiet yes or no answer. Poor girl rarely speaks more than a couple sentences a day before withdrawing.

Sophia and Carol stopped cleaning the fish halfway through, saying something about checking up on Ed.

After cleaning the fish Charlie and Carl both have fish scales and blood on their hands. Makes them look more like murderers than innocent kids.

"Carl, Charlie, why don't you both get cleaned up? I'm gonna check on Jim, alright?" I tell them both, ruffling Charlie's brown hair.

"Ok, Shane. C'mon, Charlie!" Carl grabs her hand and runs off with her. Charlie stumbles a bit as she runs alongside him but ultimately steadies herself and continues on.

Once they're both out of view I start heading to Jim, who's still tied up to the tree. The shade and water should have helped him calm down from that episode he was having earlier.

Jim turns his attention toward me when he notices my approach.

"Hey, Jim. How you feeling, man?" I ask, crouching down in front of him.

"I'm better. More myself now," He answers.

I study him for a moment. He seems calmer now, less frantic.

"I hope you understand the need for this...this timeout. I, I've got others I need to think about. I just want to make sure there's no hard feelings."

"There's not. I do understand. You'd do anything for the people you care about. I only wish I could've kept my own safe," Jim says, his eyes taking a faraway look to them before focusing back on me. "Just...watch over that girl you got now."

"Charlie ain't mine." I like the girl, but she needs someone better than me. I thought maybe I could be somewhat of a father to Carl. It's not what I'm meant for. Charlie'd be better off with someone else.

"Not by blood," Jim says.

I pause, wanting to say more but deciding to just let it go. "Okay." I straighten up. "Why don't you come join in with the rest of us? Big ol' fish fry we're having."

Jim smiles. "I'd like that very much."

–------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie-Pov

Carl drags me toward his mom. He grips my hand as he runs, not too tight. He skidded to a stop once we reached Lori. She's talking to Dale about the fish fry tonight, saying something about having enough chairs.

"Mom, Shane said to get cleaned up. Can we go down to the Quarry?" Carl pleads.

"Alone? Absolutely not." Lori says.

"I'm not going alone, Charlie's with me," He states.

"You two alone. Still no."

Carl lifts the hand that was still gripping mine. "But we're all bloody!" He shouted causing a few of the nearby people to give us odd looks. I shrink back from all the stares.

Lori sighs and looks around. I can tell she's searching for someone to take us or an alternative that didn't make us go all the way down to the quarry.

Carl is relentless though. "Mom, please. We'll be quick, I promise."

Running her hand across her forehead she spoke, "Fine." She grabbed two rags off a nearby table and handed them to us. "You go down to the quarry and wash the blood off before coming straight back. Now hurry, dinner will be soon."