Chapter 13 - Wishing for an Apple

Shane's pov-

We all stand around in the big room watching the countdown. I glance at Carl and then Lori. She's holding him against her chest, hugging him tightly.

My gaze then turns to Dr. Jenner, he sits in front of a computer resting his head in his hands. I'm tempted to slam his head on the table; maybe that'll knock some sense into him.

"Hey guys?" Glenn moves to the center of the room and turns around in a circle. "Where's Charlie?"

I turn around myself, half expecting her to be standing right behind me. I've grown so used to her shadowing me that I barely even notice it anymore. Now it feels like something's missing.

The others start looking around too.

"Charlotte? Honey?" Carol shouts while trying to keep Sophia calm.

Carl pushes away from his mom and steps toward the Dr. "She must still be in the rec room. You've gotta open the door, she's out there alone in the dark!"

He sighs and faces Carl. "I already told you, those doors aren't opening."

Why that son of a- without thinking I step forward and grab him by the collar. "You better open those doors right now! You got no right to let a little kid die out there alone!"

Someone places a hand on my shoulder and I turn to look at them. My grip on the Dr's shoulder only tightens.

"Shane, calm down. Keep your head on straight," Rick says, attempting to diffuse the situation.

"Nah man, I ain't gonna keep calm while this mad man keeps us locked up in here while we wait for death." I give Jenner a good shake before roughly shoving him back.

"This ain't gonna help anything either."

I shake my head at Rick and back away from Jenner. Leaning against one of the computers I watch him brush himself off and sit back down. My attention quickly turns to Daryl as he throws a bottle of liquor at the steel doors.

"Open the door!" He shouts.

The clock reaches 12 minutes left.

I'm sick of just standing here waiting for an escape and look around for something, anything to help us get out of here. In the corner I spot emergency fire axes and run over to them. T-dog sees them too and follows after.

I pick one up and waste no time running to the steel door. Using all my strength I swing it as hard as I can at the door. T-dog tosses the other ax to Daryl and he begins hitting it too.

We exchange blows with the door for a minute but nothing comes of it. The door's too thick. I back away from it and toss the ax to the side. Panting I lean over a computer.

"Can't make a dent," I say between breaths.

"Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher." Jenner says.

I'm two seconds away from tossing him at the door. As I move toward him once again I'm stopped by Daryl's voice.

"Shane!" He shouts, gesturing behind him. "Kid is at the door."

With one last threatening look at Jenner I rush toward the door.

"Charlie!"

"Shane what's going on, why are all the lights off? And why is this door here?" She's shouting but her voice barely makes it through the door.

I look at the clock. 8 minutes left. If the doctor won't open these doors then Charlie's gotta get outta here on her own.

I rub my hand over my face and yell back, "Listen to me Charlie, you're gonna get your stuff and you're gonna go. Find a way out okay?" I hate telling her this. Makes it sound like I'm giving up. Looking back at the Dr. I harden my face. Ain't no way I'm giving up.