Chapter 11 -Context Helps

When I wake up again it's hard to tell just how early it is. Being a couple hundred feet underground with no natural sunlight will do that to you. It makes me worry I've slept in. Turning over I glance at the alarm clock, it reads 6:57. Glad to know I didn't sleep half the day away, I sit up and stretch.

Checking to see if Shane's awake I notice his cot is empty. He's probably up already.

Hopping off the bed I start getting ready for the day. I even brush my teeth, my mom used to always nag me about that. I debate putting my hat on but seeing as there's no reason for it I leave it on my backpack.

I open the door and look out. Seeing as the hall lights are no longer dimmed I'm assuming it's okay to start wandering about. I can hear a few voices from further down the hall and follow them.

I enter the same room we ate dinner in the night before and see T-dog, Dr. Jenner, and Daryl at a table eating. Curious as to what it is that they're eating, I step closer. The smell of bacon and eggs hits my nose and my mouth begins watering. It's been far too long since I've had bacon.

Daryl gives me a small nod when he notices me then immediately focuses back on his food. He's of no help in my journey to gaining some of this deliciousness. After I take a few more steps inside the room T-dog also notices me.

"Good morning." He lifts a forkful of eggs. "Want some breakfast?"

I nod quickly.

T-dog gets up and heads toward the stove where the smell of food is emanating from.

"Take a seat kid," Dr. Jenner says.

I take a seat across from Daryl and a few to the left of Dr. Jenner. A stack of cups and a jug of water is set in the middle of the table and I pour myself a cup while I wait.

My eyes follow the plate in T-dog's hands as he walks from the stove to the table.

"You must be hungry, your eyes are practically sparkling," T-dog laughs out as he sets the plate down in front of me. A fork and knife following suit.

Immediately I dig in, barely managing a muffled thank you to T-dog. I finish only a few minutes later and lean back in my chair, satisfied. Across from me, Daryl lifts an eyebrow as he takes his own final bite.

Dr. Jenner sits to the side sipping his coffee, he's rather quiet this morning. Hasn't even said a single sciency thing.

Daryl and T-dog start discussing something about motorcycles and I zone out. Hopefully, Carl or Sophia will show up soon before I die of boredom. I could go look for Shane. He wasn't in the bedroom this morning so he must be awake somewhere.

Faint footsteps sound from the hall, getting louder. I look at the doorway hoping it's someone I can talk to.

Glenn enters the room. He groans and squints at the bright lights in here. "Why's it gotta be so bright?"

Dr. Jenner walks over to a nearby cabinet and pulls out a bottle of something.

"I have some aspirin you can use. Should dull the pain a bit." He hands it to Glenn.

"Thanks." Glenn heads toward the table and gives me a small wave. "Morning, Charlie. Mind if I sit here?" He points to the chair on my left.

I shake my head and sit up, leaning over the table to pour a glass of water for him. He looks like he needs it.

"This will help, thanks Charlie." Glenn takes a sip of it and swallows an aspirin. He closes his eyes and leans his head on the table.

"Are you sleeping, Glenn?" I ask after he stays like that for a few minutes. He's the only one in here who I'd actually start a conversation with and I was hoping not to have to sit in silence anymore.