Chapter 43: Yume's birthday

As soon as they returned from their mission, our Suna ninjas had taken the time to rest. Indeed, as the past events had shaken the emotions of some, it was necessary to take some time to recover before being summoned for another mission.

So, everyone returned to their routine gradually. The events of the mission were replaced by another in everyone's minds.

- Oh, it's Yuyu's birthday in a week, isn't it? Kankurô asked his sister as the sand siblings sat down to a good meal.

- You're right, the date is coming up! We'll have to try and find her a gift!

- Yume's birthday huh? Gaara asked.

- Yes, Temari replied. She's celebrating her 12th birthday next week.

- And like every year, a party will be organized in her honour at her clan's domain, Kankurô continued.

- Oh, I see... So she'll be celebrating with her family.

- Not just with them! She can also invite members from outside the clan. By the way, she made us a request, and you're directly concerned.

The red head frowned his inexistant eyebrows at his sister's words, curious to know what request the blonde had made. Faced with her brother's puzzled expression, Temari continued:

- She asked for you to be present that day. She told us she'd be really pleased if you came.

At these words, the dark-rimmed eyes widened. He knew that the Amai wouldn't refuse to let him come, but knowing that his presence was important to her touched him a enormously.

- Is... is that true...? She really wants me to come?

- Of course, she does! Otherwise, she would never have told me!

Gaara didn't pronounce a word in surprise. He had never been invited to a birthday party before. So, knowing that he could attend to such a special moment in Yume's life gave him a warm feeling in his chest. But quickly, a question arose:

- So... you mentioned a gift. What do we give on a birthday?

- Oh! Don't worry about that! Kankurô answered. You don't have to give her anything.

- Oh? And why wouldn't I?

- She told us that your presence would be more than enough for her, Temari replied. She knows that you're not used to this kind of things, so if you don't feel like bothering to find her a present, you don't have to.

- No, I want to play the game, Gaara replied after a moment of thought. I'd like to try and get her something.

- Are you sure about this? Kankurô asked in surprise.

- Absolutely, he answered confidently. Now answer my question: what do you give on a birthday?

- Well, we give something that will make the person happy.

- For example, for Yuyu It's easy: if it's something cute or some violets, it's in the bag!

- Meh... I want to see you there, I'm sure that you'll have a hard time finding her gift...

- Wanna bet? You'll see, I'm a pro at these things!

- Stop arguing you two...

- Yeah, sorry...

The Sand siblings finished their meal and the three of them got on with the usual tasks. Once the cleaning was done, Kankurô had an idea.

- By the way, we've got time this afternoon, so we can start browsing in the shops for something, what do you think?