Chapter 9: Departure to Konoha

Yume, Naomi, and Johana were waiting for their teacher in a small square in Sunagakure.

- What does she have to say to us? Wondered Naomi. Any idea?

- No idea, Johana replied.

- We've been doing high level missions for a few months now, Yume remarked. Maybe we're ready to take it to the next level?

- What do you mean? Naomi asked cheerfully. A B-ranked mission?

- I don't think so, Johana replied. Genin don't do that kind of mission.

- Oh, too bad... Said the other two in disappointment.

Suddenly, their instructor appeared before them. She was smiling from ear to ear.

- Hello to all three of you! exclaimed Shinobu as she greeted them, her student did the same. You're going to be happy; I have some great news to tell you.

- Is that true? They said happily, looking at Shinobu with curiosity.

- I'm officially announcing that I've recommended the three of you... to take the chûnin exam! The instructor declared proudly.

Their reaction was not long coming. The three were happy to hear the news. They hugged each other laughing.

- I have something else to tell you! Shinobu exclaimed as her students began to listen intently again. This exam will take place in Konoha, and we need three days of travel time to get there. We'll leave tomorrow at dawn. But we won't be alone, another team will be joining us.

- Oh no! that sucks! grumbled Naomi? I don't like travelling with other people!

- What? Retorted Yume. I'd say the more the merrier!

- And that means we have a lot to prepare, Johana remarked. How long are we going to stay there?

- It's supposed to start in early July, Shinobu answered. And the exam takes place over several days, so we don't have much information about the exact length of the stay. So, we have to be prepared for any eventuality. I'd advise you to go home now so you'll have the afternoon and evening free to prepare everything you need.

- All right, goodbye! The girls said in unison before leaving.

- Arrive home safely, girls! Said the instructor.

They all set off for home. Yume walked through the door of her house with a big grin on her face and a look of determination.

- I'm home! She shouted happily.

- Ah, honey! You seem to be in a good mood! Her mother said.

- Oh yes, I am! Shinobu sensei recommended us to take the chûnin exam!

- Is that true? That's great! The Amai mother exclaimed. Did you hear this Takumi?

- Haruka, what is it? Asked the father who had just entered the room.

- Yume is going to compete for the chûnin rank!

- You're going to take the exam? The father asked with a big smile on his face.

Yume nodded with a big smile as well. Both her parents hugged her and told her how happy they were for her.

- Give it your best shot during the exam, okay my dear?

- Yes Daddy!

- Do you remember the time we passed the exam together, my love? Haruka asked her husband.

- Yes, I do, he replied wistfully, it brings back many good memories...

- Did you pass the exam together? Asked the curious blondie.