Chapter 49: A new start

When he regained his senses, Naruto could no longer see his companion. All he could see was a steel dome in the middle of the valley. He approached it at a slow pace, showing his caution and curiosity. Suddenly he heard a piercing howl. When he realised the situation, he ran screaming:

- Yumeee!

- What? the mercenary gasped as he heard the name. What does that mean?

- Release Yume now, you bastard!

- It's... it's Yume who is inside and not Gaara sensei...? Matsuri stammered in shock.

- Raaah! That brat! She has fooled me again! Despite everything, she deserved her fate!

- What are you going to do again?! Naruto shouted.

- I'm going to absorb all of her chakra.

- What?! You're going to...let her die?!

- That's the idea, unless Gaara shows up in person and surrenders.

- Then never! We'll never give Gaara up to you!

- Maybe you want your friend to die instead?

Naruto turned towards the dome, biting his lower lip. He couldn't let the Amai down either... He lowered his head without a word, the answer becoming obvious.

- So go and get me Gaara!

Matsuri watched the scene from behind her poor rock. Should she act? And if so, what should she do? She remained paralysed, clinging to the rock with all her strength. But suddenly her black beads landed on what seemed to be a lucky sign: a ladybug. She picked it up and it immediately opened, startling the little girl. Inside were all the object's mechanisms and a carefully folded piece of paper. She opened it and saw the words:

Little ladybug,

Take courage in both hands, and fly off!

Immediately, her fearful expression disappeared from her face. She put the piece of paper away and closed the weapon before looking back at the scene. Her decision was made up!

She stepped out from behind her rock and threw the yoyo, which struck the cruel mercenary on the head. He turned, irritated, towards the person who had attacked him, as did Naruto, who seemed dumbfounded. The little girl's face was closed as she reached for her weapon.

The blond boy motioned her to return to her hiding place, but Matsuri was having none of it, stepping forward and spinning the yoyo at her side. Her movements had a few flaws, and her heart was pounding, but she overcame these emotions and joined the blond with the firm intention of defeating their enemy.

The situation was becoming increasingly urgent for the Amai, whose chakra reserves were melting like snow in the sun. She felt weaker and weaker, so much so that she could hardly stand up. Her illusion dissipated, revealing her true appearance.

How could she get out of this? Using a technique like the Butterfly Dance would shorten her already short expectancy. Then she had an idea. She always had her butterfly impregnated with chakra with her. So she took the opportunity to transfer it to the enemy. Once done, she made seals with her hands. But before she had time to finish what she had to do, her body called her to order. She wobbled and collapsed to the ground, unable to get up again. She gritted her teeth as tears of rage rolled down her cheeks.

- Damn it! She exclaimed with a cry from the heart.

She tried to stay awake as long as possible and tried to reduce the loss of chakra. She could feel her head spinning and the sounds becoming increasingly blurred. Her words were making less and less sense and her mind was becoming muddled. At last, she closed her eyes, not having the strength to keep them open much longer.