Chapter 9- It's Okay to Cry

I moved my hand. I felt so weak. Other hand. I opened my eyes and saw that it was nighttime. I moved my arm to my side. My body felt like I had overworked myself at training. It was stiff, like it was stuck in stone for months. It was only a few hours, I believed.

I had a butterfly needle in my arm. I closed my eyes, my torso throbbing. Did they not give me pain medications? I looked down and saw that my torso was bandaged. I didn't want to see the horror that was underneath it. Maybe it would be more like my uncle's that I saw that night.

A swarm of doctors came in as I heard the heart rate monitor having a fit. My heart rate was back to beating higher than normal. They checked everything. If my body was able to move, if I could walk, if I could talk. Like I was a child. After the doctors cleared out of the room to get results on the tests they did, one sat next to me.

"It's me, (Y/n). I've been caring for you since you've been in a coma."

"Thank you," I breathed.

"Does the torso hurt?" Mrs. Morales asked.

I nodded. "I'll get one of the nurses to get you pain medications. Do you want me to call anyone?"

"No. Let them sleep," I mumbled.

I heard the door close and fell asleep again. My hands sparked when I woke up in the morning. A glass of water and a painkiller were placed on the bedside table. I sat up with as much strength as I could muster and took it.

My backpack from the accident was placed on a hook across from the bed. My ears rang from the memory. I covered my ears, tears pricking my eyes. Mom and Dad were gone. They weren't coming back. I sat up, slumped over. The pain in my torso was relieving, which means the pills were working.

Mrs. Morales walked in. Her kind smile always brought light into a room. "Hello, Miss (L/n)."

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It is seven in the morning," she said with a small smile.

"How are they?" I asked, looking down at my wristband.

"Mr. and Mrs. Parker have been visiting frequently," she started. "I understand that your parents have passed away in a car accident."

I looked at my scratched arm. "Bullet wound to the head and the other to the chest. The car exploded right after I jumped out of it."

"About your parents. Your parents have a fund for you, so all of their money will be able for you to access when you are twenty-one. That's what I heard around the hospital. As for shelter... Well, Mr. and Mrs. Parker offered to take you in."

I looked at her in amazement and hid my hands in my face. I would be living with them? But why? I wasn't their daughter. "I understand that this is a lot to take in."

"No, I understand." I nodded my head. "Miles?"

"Visits as often as he can," Mrs. Morales admitted. "He cares so much about you, it's amazing." She smiled. "Do you want me to call him?"

I smiled. "If it's not too much trouble. And thank you."

She nodded and walked over to my backpack, pulling out my phone. She turned it on for me and handed it to me. "I'll be back in a bit with Miles." She left the room.

I looked through my phone, turning on my music softly. I took deep breaths, trying to make my fingers crackle. They couldn't, even if I pushed myself. My hands shook. How could I protect myself and the city if my powers weren't working?

"What's going on?" I asked softly, trying again. Nothing.

The door opened about five minutes later, and someone tackled me into a hug against the bed. He sat down and pulled me close to him, making sure that I was comfortable. As soon as he started to rub my back with soft touches, I let down the dam I was holding in and sobbed into his shoulder.

"It's okay to cry, sunflower," Miles breathed, trying to hold back his own tears. "I cried every day, hoping you would be okay."

"I am," I croaked. "Trying to be."

Miles's eyes softened. "I'm so sorry about your parents."

I looked down at my hands. "More reason to get Kingpin into jail."

"They're looking for him as a suspect," Miles explained. "You're so brave."

I shook my head. "Thanks, Miles, but I'm not."

"Are you kidding me? You survived a gunshot to the torso! Do you know how brave of you that is?" Miles argued. "In my eyes, you're brave."

We sat there for a few minutes, just looking at each other. His hand took mine and his thumb rubbed over the top of my hand. He then moved, so he was laying his head on my shoulder, his knee over my legs, and his arm across my chest. We laid there, my left hand and his right intertwined.

He fell asleep on me with his back facing the door.

Peter and MJ walked into the room. MJ smiled as Peter chuckled at the state we were in. I prayed that Miles would not wake up. But, I had my family back. After all that time of being asleep, I was almost scared Peter lost that bond with me. No. I was still the apprentice, and Peter would never give up on me.

"How are you, kid?" Peter asked.

"Better, now that everyone knows I'm awake." I glanced at Miles. "I also heard that you're taking me in after I collect my things from my house."

"We've thought about it. The only problem is to know if you would be comfortable with the idea of it," Peter explained.

I smiled. "I would love to."

Peter walked over to me and patted my free shoulder. "Welcome to the Parkers, kid."

I looked at the two. "Thank you, both of you."

MJ smiled. "Anytime, (Y/n)."