Chapter 04: Flux

"System check,” Captain Curry, a uniformed older woman with dark, curly short hair, called.

Ensign Clark Dobson typed on his virtual keyboard, glancing at the data in the window that just popped up. He nodded before saying, "All navigational systems are green on my end, Captain."

"The fusion plant is running smoothly," Shoemaker's engineer Petty Officer Derrick's voice echoed through the Drift. “No problems found in gravity plates. The mini-star is holding stable. AB Drives are green as well.”

"Graviton shields are engaged," the Gunnery Officer, Lieutenant Tenma, declared in a rather thick accent. She was a rather short, young Japanese woman with silver hair, which Clark thought was rather rare. However, her demeanor definitely gave her a professional aura as she manipulated the holographic screens with practiced efficiency. “Gunnery teams report that all weapons systems are green as well.”

"Skies are clear, nothing on my screens," GRADR Operator and XO, Lieutenant Commander Michaels, a much older man with a gruff voice, said.

Curry nodded. "Launch base, we are ready for departure."

"Copy that, Shoemaker. Syncing our Urenbeck Systems to yours. You're cleared for launch."

"Thank you," the Captain replied. She turned to Clark. "Mister Dobson, set the pathway."

He adjusted his virtual hands and began typing on his keyboard, then waved his right hand in a showy manner as he finished putting in the coordinates and sent it to the helmsman.

"Pathway received," Helmsman Ensign Moreau replied, but then paused before turning to Clark, eyebrow raised. "Uh, can you recheck your numbers, please?"

Clark stared at the bearded man. "Why, what's wrong with it, Moreau?"

"It's just that I don't want to waste extra minutes redirecting our course because of your error."

"There aren't any errors in my pathway, Ensign.”

"Settle down," Curry said. "Mister Moreau, send it to me."

"Sent."

Clark sat a little straighter, eyes still on the helmsman, confident that he was right when he heard the captain chuckle.

"I can see why you asked for correction," Curry said, shaking her head.

"Captain?" Clark asked, frowning.

"Follow the course set, Mister Moreau. It is the path set by our Navigator."

"Yeah," Moreau replied with a shrug. "Freaking new guy."

Clark was about to answer back, but Curry spoke up, making him pause. "Mister Dobson, you're from San California, correct?"

Clark blinked. "Uh, yes, Captain. I was born and raised there. Served my first two years there as well."

"Ah, so that's the issue," Michaels said with his own gruff chuckle.

"Is anyone going to tell me what's going on?" Clark demanded in a steady voice.

"If even Michaels say so, then Moreau is probably right, Dobson-san," Tenma said, not even bothering to look in their direction.

"How so?" the Navigator asked, his annoyance now evident.

"You're about to find out," Curry said.

Clark remained silent as he listened to Moreau doing the final countdown before their launch from New Carolina. His eyes stayed fixed on his map, ensuring the helmsman wasn't attempting to deviate from the course and later blame him.