Chapter 09: Incursion

"Is this accurate?" Admiral Vinia inquired, scrutinizing the report and the extensive data compiled by Commander Venatix and her team.

"Yes, Admiral," replied the Commander, her tone almost monotone. "Unless there are additional ships on the planet or concealed behind the star during our scan, they only have thirty ships defending their world.”

Vinia hummed thoughtfully while studying the system map in its entirety. With a swipe of her claw, she zeroed in on the asteroid field, prompting the holographic image to zoom into that specific sector. As she evaluated the field's overall density and noted its ample thickness, enough to obstruct a convoy, she observed an array of gaps and lanes wide enough for a sizable group to navigate. However, she acknowledged the likelihood that the enemy was aware of these strategic passages.

For her, though, it didn't matter if they knew. The Admiral wasn't planning to be methodical about this. By now, the Council would have realized that something had come up. Her fleet needed to get this done fast.

"Commander Venatix," Vinia called, "I commend you for a job well done. With this, we'll be able to face the enemy without undue losses.”

The Commander saluted. "For the Hierarchy," she stated, though a slight undertone lingered in her sub-harmonics.

Vinia's plates shifted slightly but did not falter as she returned the salute. Once the holographic window of Venatix disappeared, the Admiral whistled in amusement. "Cheeky hatchling," she commented. She then turned to her XO standing at her right and said, "I'm guessing she's one of the officers that agree with General Oraka.”

Captain Daedalus nodded. "Do you want her reprimanded, Admiral?"

"Not as long as she's doing her job," she said. "Besides, it's better not to waste any more time.”

The XO hummed. "What do you need done then, Admiral?" he asked.

"We need to completely overwhelm them," she replied. "While we outnumber their ships four to one, we know a cornered varren is the most savage. We cannot afford to have them dictate the pace of the battle.”

Daedalus hummed. "I would have suggested flanking their ships," he said. "However, the presence of the asteroid field and the aliens' ability to appear and disappear at will makes that a foolish proposition.”

"It's a proper tactic nonetheless," the Admiral replied, staring at the map of the system. "All we have to do is switch the target—a target clear of any debris and without the ability to remove itself from the battle.”

The XO blinked before glancing at his superior officer. It took him a moment to realize what she was staring at. He frowned. "That is risky."

"I know," Vinia agreed. "I will consult General Oraka and see how feasible it is. I will also need a total count of medium frigates we have in the fleet.”

"It will be done," Daedalus replied. "Shall I call the General to the bridge?"

"No," the Admiral said. "Tell him I'll meet him in his quarters in ten minutes.”

The XO saluted, to which she returned. As the Captain left to consult his officers, Vinia took hold of her data pad, and with a flick of her claw, she stared at the picture of her and Septimus.

"Soon," was all she said.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

General Williams appeared in the reception room of the Office of the High Governor. Unlike his usual visits, the virtual office changed. From the more inviting aesthetics of wooden finishings and plants, it now resembled a military station—a room encased in unyielding metal, where the walls and doors formed a fortress of stark simplicity. Devoid of decorations or windows, the utilitarian design emphasized functionality over adornment, with a rigid adherence to angular shapes.