Chapter 11: Tempering

Admiral Vinia fixed her gaze on the holographic screens, eyes narrowing as she meticulously analyzed the data, all the while receiving additional reports.

Earlier, as her ships slowly cleared a corridor for the fleet, Commander Venatix's group had reported a successful incursion. They had navigated through the asteroid field, glimpsed the alien planet, but the details became vague after that.

They had noted the presence of alien fighters before reporting an attack. Some ships in the group had claimed it was coming from the planet, unsettling any turian who heard it. Vinia didn't blame them; it sounded almost fantastical.

The last update had Commander Venatix ordering the group to enter the planet—a bold move, but the lack of further communication was worrisome. Vinia had ordered another task group to retrace their steps, attempting to support the ground invasion. Before they could get far, alien ships had appeared on the task force's flank and opened fire.

She had lost two ships before the rest of the fleet covered the retreating group, and the alien ships promptly vanished.

Undeterred, Vinia tried again with a larger group, only to be met by more enemies. No ships were lost that time, but it had become evident that the enemy was observing them, waiting for opportunities to pick them off one by one. With no alternative, Vinia could only continue her course and hope the invasion force had successfully entered the planet, taking steps for occupation.

However, there was a nagging feeling that the Admiral could not shake off. As the bulk of her fleet slowly cleared the asteroid field in front of them, she wondered if she was merely following the enemy's predetermined path.

Granted, there was a chance that the enemy's effort to keep the fleet together in one large convoy was part of a strategy to lure them into a kill zone they had prepared. She didn't feel it was that, though. Unless the enemy had a powerful weapon that would eliminate the numbers game, an ambush couldn't be their end goal. They had planned something else, and she felt frustrated that she couldn't figure out what it was.

“Admiral.”

Vinia blinked, turning to the right, where the voice originated. It was the saluting Captain Daedalus. She returned the gesture before asking, “Anything new, Captain?”

“Just a progress report,” he replied as he lowered his arm. “We've cleared this sector of enough asteroids to push forward.”

“Enemy presence?” the Admiral inquired.

“We have yet to detect any,” Daedalus said. “Shall we move forward?”

Vinia hesitated. She looked at the data once more before shaking her head. “How many more sectors are left before we have a clear shot to the enemy planet?”

“Eighty more sectors to go,” Daedalus answered. He seemed to study her for a moment before adding, “We're making good time, Admiral.”

“We are,” she agreed. “Yet I have not shed that feeling that we're marching at our enemy's pace.”

Daedalus’ mandibles shook in a grimace. “It is rather strange that they have left the whole convoy in relative peace.”

“That's what bothers me,” Vinia said with a sharp shake of her head. “It's as if they are allowing us to pass through for no good reason.”

“What do you suggest, then, Admiral?” the Captain asked.

Vinia closed her eyes for a moment, gathering her thoughts. After a few moments, she nodded sharply once. “Move to the next sector, but do not start any clearing operations,” she replied. “Instead, task a few groups to do a sweep of the surroundings.”