Chapter 15: Encroaching Eclipse

Up close, Coralune, the moon of New Carolina, revealed itself as a jagged landscape, its peaks painted in bruised purples and fiery oranges, piercing the endless black. Light emanated from an unseen source, casting lavender and ember hues across the terrain. It cascaded down into valleys, forming amethyst seas, glimmering with whispers of hidden crystals and shadowy crevices. Amidst the dance of mountains and gloom, a break emerged—a clearing bathed in artificial glow. At its center stood a metallic construct amidst the rocky canvas, a sprawl of elongated buildings and roadways, swarmed by multiple frigates and Raven Defense Platforms hovering above.

While the frigates remained stationary, the Ravens moved with purpose, descending closer to the base on Coralune. Orange light beamed from their undersides onto designated platforms, hoisting large blocks of containers. Once attached to their underbelly, the cubes gravitationally adhered to the Ravens, which then ascended slightly before vanishing into thin air.

Inside the bridge of the frigate USS Shoemaker, Ensign Clark Dobson, deep in the Drift, observed the unfolding scene through his GRADR screen. He monitored the pathways of each Raven, although with their AI capabilities, his input was redundant. Their navigation was not only efficient but also tighter than any human helmsman could conceive—although he wouldn't dare suggest that to anyone except Moreau. Moreau had demonstrated, without a doubt, his ability to maneuver a ship with finesse through a singularity.

He glanced at his other screens, starting with the one displaying still images of Ravens constructing Aegis Drones, Laser PDTs, and Missile turrets near the asteroid belt. Then, he shifted his attention to the holographic screen, where yellow numbers slowly counted down.

"Dobson," Lieutenant Commander Michaels called, causing the Navigator to jump slightly. "Mind giving me an update?"

Clark diverted his gaze from the screens, glancing at the older man who had just entered the bridge. "The RPDs have begun constructing the second line," he reported, gesturing with his left hand towards the XO. A screen appeared on the older man's terminal, displaying images of the Ravens in action. "By the time the alien fleet clears the asteroids, the third line should be completed."

"What's the ETA on that?" Michaels inquired.

Clark glanced at the window displaying the numbers and replied, "Four hours, real-time."

"Any word on Tenma?" Michaels asked.

"Last I heard, she's concluded her meeting with the other Gunnery Officers in the fleet," Clark responded. "Seems like dee-tee charges are running low."

Michaels nodded. "Yeah," he acknowledged. "I'm not surprised, given the plan." He glanced at the screens on his terminal once more. "Take a two-hour break," the older man ordered.

Clark blinked, then turned to the XO. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Michaels affirmed. "It's best to get as much rest as possible before the upcoming battle. I'll pass on the same message to Tenma."

"And Moreau?" the Navigator inquired.

"He'll probably refuse and opt for overtime pay," Michaels responded with a wry grin. "But since his shift is in two hours, I'm not too concerned."

Clark nodded and was about to log out when he hesitated for a moment. A question lingered in his mind, and he couldn't resist expressing it. "What do you think of the plan?" he asked.

Michaels hummed thoughtfully. "Honestly, the first part is a very solid opening move," he replied. "But it's just that—a beginning. The real challenge lies ahead, so make sure to get some rest."

"Yes, sir," Clark acknowledged before logging off.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Inside the digital walls of the Office of the High Governor of New Carolina, a meeting was in progress. The High Governor and State Governors of the entire planet had gathered around a central round table, listening intently as General Williams read the latest report from Captain Matterson.