Chapter 24

A/N: This part takes place years earlier, after Summer's disappearance and before anyone knew she was alive.

Raven flies over to Summer's grave and goes back to her human form, landing on her hands and knees. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I failed you. I'm sorry I abandoned you." She couldn't tell whether she was referring to Yang or Summer.

"I wish you were here to help me. Yang resents me and for good reason. I don't blame her for it." She sits on the ground, not able to stay on her feet. She was overcome with emotion.

"She's... so much like you," she said, her voice cracking. "She's brave. I wanted to tell her what happened to you but I couldn't. I... I can't even face your daughter."

She puts her face in her hands. "I am a monster and I'm only getting worse. Salem wanted me to go on that mission with you to destroy her. Now she wants me to lure Ruby to her? I... I can't."

A dark figure glides behind Raven. "You will, Raven Branwen. That is... unless you want something to happen to your daughter? Maybe I should pay her a visit?"

Raven gets up and screams at Salem. "You are never to go near my daughter."

Salem smiles. "We'll see about that. Come with me now. We have work to do." Raven follows her without another word, seething on the inside.

Salem leads Raven back to Evernight Castle and takes Raven to the lowest level. This floor reveals the endless wall of cells. Many were filled with silver-eyed warriors while others were empty.

There was one cell in particular that interested Raven and she went over to it, seeing a dark figure trying to emerge from the bed. The figure seemed familiar but Raven couldn't really tell because the figure was covered up in dirt and blood. The realization hit when the figure got closer.

"Summer...," Raven whispered. "I thought you were dead."

"Only because that's what Salem wanted you to think," Summer said bitterly. After that, Summer was knocked out by Salem.