Chapter 14

Chapter 14 (Steve's POV)

I flicked my eyes open.

"Tatum?" I said. 

I try to rub eyes to clear the picture, but some body stopped me.

"No, don't touch." A familiar voice said. 

My vision still blurry.

"Hey buddy." Dustin says. I blinked slowly trying to enhance my vision and look at the familiar face but only to realize it was Dustin looking at me. 

Dustin shushes me, "It's ok. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight."

"You're gonna keep straight about a half a mile.." Lucas said holding up a map, watching the road.

I took the ice pack that was on top of my head off.

"What's going on?" I asked. My vision began to clear, and Max was driving. "Oh my god!" I shout. I looked around the car, and Tatum was unconscious, too. "Tatum their trying to kill us!" I shout, shaking her numb body.

"Relax, she has driven before." Dustin defends.

"Yeah, in a parking lot!" Mike says.

"That counts!" Lucas shouts from the passenger seat.

"They were gonna leave you behind.." Dustin said.

"Oh my god!" I call out.

"Tatum!" I yell. She was still unconscious, her face covered in blood. 

Max put her foot on the gas pedal, and the acceleration of the car hits my head. "Woah woah woah! What is going on!?" 

"Oh my god! No! Woah! Stop the car! Slow down!" I yell. 

Tatum must have woken up from the yelling because she was freaking out now, too.

"I told you that they would freak out!" Mike says. 

"What the hell!!" Tatum yells.

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max shouts from the driver's seat.

"Make a left!" Lucas yells.

"What?" Max says.

"Make a left!"

Max makes a hard left, and the tires screech. We all scream. We come to a hard stop just barely missing the hole to the tunnels.

"I told you. Zoomer." Max smirks to herself. 

All the kids jump out of the car, but once I get out, I catch myself before I fall to the ground. I help Tatum get out of the car, and she stumbles as I try to stabilize her. Both of us obviously weren't all there after we had just been beaten up by that asshole, Billy. 

"Wait. Guys, where are you going?" I ask. "Are you deaf hello? We are not doing down there. I made myself clear. There is no chance we're going in the hole, alright?" I say.  "This ends right now!"

 I lean Tatum up against the car so she doesn't fall over. 

"Steve! I get it. You're upset! But the bottom line is that a party member needs assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now I know you promised everyone that you'd keep us safe. So keep us safe." Dustin says, handing me a bag with gear and my bat in it.