Chapter 32.

Derek.

We are now sat at the dinner table. Thatcher is at the head of the table while Meredith is sitting next to me.

She hasn't really eaten anything, she mostly just moved it around the plate.

"So Derek... have you heard about the lawsuit?" He says after a long moment of silence.

"Um, yes I have, my father mentioned it not long ago," I say. Meredith looks up from her plate and at me.

I place my left hand on her thigh and squeeze reassuringly. She looks back down at her place and continues moving her food around.

"Meredith, at least take a bite, it's very rude," her father says. She looks at him and then at her plate.

She takes a small amount onto her fork and takes a bite.

"You know I'm already struggling financially without the lawsuit, your father knows that too, doesn't he?" He says.

"I believe so, yes," I say. "Then why do this? Do you really want to put an old broke man on the streets?" He says.

"You won't be on the streets, you own a small cabin out in the woods that my father doesn't want," I say.

"Derek, we're family now. You're married to my daughter, you will be the father to my future grandchild. Would you really want them to know you did this to your own family?" He says.

"My father had made his decision and there's nothing I can say or do to change that. You chose to take money from him, a lot of money. If you wanted money you could have asked for a lot more when I married your daughter, but you didn't. You only asked for two hundred grand," I say.

"I didn't think she was worth that much. I didn't think you would pay more for her," he chuckles.

"I would have given you the six million if you had asked for it. I would have given you ten million for her if you asked for it, but you didn't, that was your mistake. You shouldn't underestimate a Shepherd," I say.

"Well had I known that I would have asked for more," he says. "I offered more, you said you didn't want more," I say.

"I don't recall that... Meredith stop playing with your food, just eat something. You're acting like a fucking child!" He yells slamming his fist down onto the table, making Meredith jump.

"I'm not very hungry. Excuse me," she says before getting up and leaving the table.

"I should go check on her," I say. He waves me off as I leave the table as well.

I leave the dining room and go down the hall. I find Meredith at the end of the hall crying.

I stand behind her and put both my hands on her arms.

"Don't," she holds back a sob, covering her mouth with her hand.

"It's okay, we can leave," I say. I turn her so she's facing me. I pull her in and she wraps her arms around my neck, I hold her close.

She cries for around five minutes before she calls herself down.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom and then we can go," she says wiping her eyes as there's now mascara running down. she pulls away as my hands go down to her waist.

"Okay, I'll be in the foyer waiting," I say. I kiss her cheek before she walks off.

I walk to the foyer and put on my coat. I grab Meredith's coat and purse and wait for her.

About twenty minutes go by before Meredith shows up. She takes her things from my hands before she goes out the front door.

"What took so long?" I ask her as we go into the limo.

"My father wanted to talk," she says. "How'd that go?" I say. "It didn't, he whined, he said I was a useless bitch like my mother and then he hit me, and then I left," she says as the limo driver starts driving.

"What why would he hit you?" I say. "The lawsuit, we also left early which was my fault and rude," she says.

"That doesn't mean he has the right to hit you!" I say. "It doesn't matter, he had too many drinks, it's fine. It's not like we're going to see him again anytime soon," she says.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I say. "No... maybe later," she says.

I move her closer to me, wrap my arm around her and pull her into my chest. She lays her head on my chest.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

They're getting closer 🤭

Suggestions???