Chapter 6 - Idris

"These are the best annotations I've ever read," I say when Briar's out of earshot.

Marlowe laughs. "That's exactly what Briar said about your annotations."

I smile. "Really? Because if Briar can write annotations like these—" I wave the book around "—and think that my annotations are good, then they have to be."

Marlowe gives me a weird look as she takes the book and reads over some of Briar's annotations. The corners of her mouth turn up. "She's definitely... insightful..."

I scoff, taking the book back from her and waving it in the air. "This is way more than insightful. She really gets the characters and the plot and the themes. It's insane."

Marlowe nods, glancing at Briar. "Why don't you go tell her that?"

"I want to wait until she finishes the rest of the series, so I don't have to worry about accidentally spoiling it for her." Marlowe laughs and tries to cover it up with a cough. I frown. "Are you okay? Why are you acting weirder than usual?"

She waves me off. "I'm fine. But I'm just saying: annotations like these?" She gestures at the book. "Briar's read the series before. There's no way she hasn't. Maybe she's read it even more than either of us have."

I scoff. "Okay, they're great, but they're not read-the-series-thousands-of-times great."

Marlowe snaps, pointing at me. "You're right." She drops her hand on the counter with a smirk. "They're better than that."

I shake my head. "There's no possible way anyone can read the series more than I have."

"Oh..." Marlowe waves me off. "I wouldn't say that."

I make a face, turning to face the counter. "I'm not having the who's-the-biggest-fan argument right now. I know it's me." Marlowe doesn't say anything. I throw my arms out, turning back to her. "Whatever. All I'm saying is I'll wait until she's done with the rest of the series. That way I can read her annotations, and when she starts working next week, we can talk about it. Plus, she'll generally know my thoughts, and I'll generally know her thoughts."

Marlowe shrugs, picking up her stylus. "If you want to wait that long."

I flip through the book. "She finished Quiet Night in one day. I don't think I'll be waiting that long to read the rest of the annotations. Two days at the least."

Marlowe nods slowly. "Right. Or you can go talk to her now."

I turn my attention to Briar. She's absentmindedly nibbling at her muffin as she reads, a crease between her eyebrows. In this lighting, her eyes are a blazing light brown color that almost seems to glow amber. It takes more effort than I anticipate to look away. And when I do, Marlowe is studying me, her head tilted to the side.

I find myself tightening my grip on the book. "What?"

She shakes her head, turning to her tablet. "Nothing. I just think you're being stupid about this."

I ignore her, turning back to the book to look for more of Briar's annotations. Whenever I come across one I especially like, I glance at her. It's hard to tell whether she's absorbed in the actual story or the annotations, but her expressions are amusing either way. Especially her eyes. I can't stop looking at her eyes. Makes me wonder what's going through her head, and the more I wonder, the more I can't wait to talk to her.

***

Even when I don't have a shift, I hang around A Quiet Café for the next few days. Marlowe gives me exasperated looks every time, but I don't pay attention to her. Maybe it comes off as creepy—I hope not—but I'm always watching Briar.