Chapter 9

"What did he do to you? I've never seen him like that, he looked so different... I thought I was just seeing things when he did it for the first time."
"H-He... thought I was his sister... and he kept hitting me whenever I did something that she wouldn't... he wanted me... to be like her..."

Cricket hissed as Ant spoke, trying to stay calm and treat her brother's wounds.
"I knew we couldn't trust him, he gave me a horrible feeling."
"I knew he was odd... but I didn't think he'd do something like that."

Ant looked up at Cricket, the siblings meeting each other's gaze. The younger feline was smiling at his sister. She was taken aback by this, placing Ant back on the ground.
"Can you walk?"
"Yeah, it hurts a little, but I think I'll be okay..." He smiled, laughing a little as he stretched out.
"How can you smile? You took a beating like that and you seem just fine..."

Ant blinked slowly, whimpering as he tried to keep a smile on his face. He looked at Paris, chuckling quietly.
"I want to be strong, Cricket... like both of you... You can be mean, but I know it's because you care..." He whispered, "It really hurts... but I don't want to cry, I want to make sure you'll both be okay before I do..."

Paris and Cricket exchanged glances before both embracing Ant, the two keeping the kitten close and weeping with uncountable and indescribable emotions.
The both of them wanted him to understand what they had already gone through, but words simply wouldn't be enough.
There was no need for the kitten to act so stoic, the things he felt were natural, the Mayflower family had been through far too much for them to keep things buried inside. Ant, for a moment, tried to hold back his feelings before wailing his heart out. His body was aching and his trust had been destroyed. He didn't know how to feel, a part of him wanted to help Leon, but every other side was screaming at him to stay away.

There weren't any words spoken between the three felines, only sobs that rang deep from their hearts. At this moment, they all finally understood the familial ties that strung them together, it wasn't fate that they would meet.
It was the relationship they shared with the Mayflowers.
Through any world, the Mayflowers spawned chaos due to the actions of Ashton. Though Ashton had not wreaked havoc upon this reality, his actions still echoed in Leon. The one most hurt by Ashton, and even after his death, he still seeked revenge against him.

Paris stepped away from the group, taking a deep breath and wiping his eyes clear of emotion. "We... shouldn't stay here, I don't think it's safe. He might come back."Ant nodded, putting his paws up before Cricket flung him onto her back."Where do we go?""I saw a big field a bit further ahead, I think we'll be able to find somewhere to go up there.""Then that's what we'll do, let's move before he finds us again."The three began walking north toward the field, small particles of snow had begun to fall from the clouds, and while Paris was never the biggest fan of it, he had to admit that it was pretty. It began to stick to his fur, giving his silver pelt some lighter tones. It shone as the sun set in front of the group, giving them something to follow for once. It felt strange, but he wasn't going to stop moving, it wasn't something he could let himself do. He glanced back at his companions, both of them striding with eyes full of newfound determination. He shook his head, trying to wipe Leon from his memory entirely, but it just wasn't possible. He was the only one that Paris had known and felt connection with, it didn't make any sense that he'd become a monster."You alright?" Cricket chimed in."Not really," The silver cat replied. "I just don't understand what made him do this.""I'm sure there was a lot he wasn't telling you, I doubt he'd just let you know that he's so messed up.""But he's never-"Cricket sped up, glaring at him before taking the lead into the field. "I get it," She assured him. "But Leon just isn't someone that you can trust.""Well, that's rude."