Chapter 3

The shape sounded young, seeming to deeply enjoy its time in the water, gliding under the river without a care in the world. It made Paris envious, seeing someone so free was unusual, especially for him.

"Hello? Are you alright?" Leon called, getting the attention of the youngster.

"Yeah! I'm playing in the water, do you want to join me? It's fun!"

The voice belonged to a small black cat, their fur dripping with water and their eyes glowing with excitement. The innocence in their words was something to behold.

"I think we'll stay over here, thank you for the offer."

"If you say so! I'm still gonna play though, okay?"

"Alright."

Paris watched the small cat, a grin growing on their face as he took a running start, dove into the water, and began to swim around. Their enjoyment made the two smile, they couldn't help but feel happy while seeing the child have fun. Paris was reminded of his old home, seeing the kid play reminded him of when he and his brother used to frolic around, chasing each other or just talking for hours.

The kitten squealed with excitement, swimming up to Paris and giggling. "Woah, you're so tall!" They yelped, "And you're a great swimmer!"

"Aww, thanks. I'm glad you're having fun."

"What's your name? Mine's Ant!"

"Paris, nice to meet you, Ant."

Ant smiled, splashing the water onto Paris, causing him to jump back in surprise. He took a few moments to examine the kit, his fur was jet black, brown-patterned ears, with a white circle around his left eye. He looked shockingly familiar, he had thin white stripes running across his neck, pure white paws, and a long tail with a tip the same color as his ears.

"Paris! Don't you think Ant looks like someone we know?"

Paris tilted his head, looking at the youngster, who was now attempting to climb up onto the rocks, but failing and falling into the river.

Ant huffed as he continuously fell into the water, staring up at the rocks and taking one big hop. He reached his paws as high as they could go, but he began to fall once more. The kitten prepared to be encased with water but was shocked as Paris lifted him onto the rocks. Ant stared at Paris, smiling wide and shifting happily.

"Thanks, Paris!"

"You're welcome."

"Paris, doesn't he look like Ashton?"

"I don't see it, their fur colors are similar, but Ant's much smaller. Why, do you think they could be related?"

Paris was unsure, the kit was a different breed, and they didn't seem to have any connection to him or his family, but he could admit the resemblance was there. He had a gut feeling that Ant was a part of the same family, but he didn't want to upset him.

"I'm not sure. Maybe it's just because their fur colors are similar."

"Mmm." Leon nodded, turning his attention back to the river.

"What are you doing?" Paris asked, staring up at Ant, who was balancing himself on the rocks.

"I'm going to go down the stream, I wanna see if I can find my sister!"

"Oh! Do you want us to help you?"

"Yeah! That'd be awesome!"

Paris turned to Leon, giving him an inquisitive look. The Ragamuffin looked away from the two and sighed.