Get the Hell Out

The next day, doctors and nurses flowed in and out of Mendocino's room constantly

The next day, doctors and nurses flowed in and out of Mendocino's room constantly. One nurse helped him out of bed, offering a walker he refused, instructing him to walk morning and afternoon, increasing distance and frequency.

Others took his temperature and blood pressure, checking boxes on charts, each asking, "On a scale of one to ten, what is your pain level?" He never knew how to answer. He hurt like hell, but how do you put a number on this pain?

Mid-afternoon, a rap at Mendocino's hospital room door, more of an announcement of entry than a request, drew his attention. He took his gaze off the scenery to see Patty walk in with her big smile, holding out a tin of cookies. "How are they treating you over here?"

"Not as good as you did." Seeing her made him smile, and he popped the top on the cookie tin she handed him, peering in. "Chocolate chip! How did you know they are my favorite?"

"They're everybody's favorite."

Mendocino so liked her laugh. Patty's presence assuaged him. He bit into a cookie. Still warm. "Delicious." He finished it off. "I'm feeling better. But they make me walk the halls in this skimpy gown. You talk about plumber's crack. It's humiliating."

She laughed heartily. "How about I get you something more appropriate to wear?"

"Oh, man. That'd be awesome." He nodded at the closet. "There should be money in my billfold. Underwear would be nice, too."

"I'd be glad to help out." She walked to the closet. "I'm off duty. How are you doing otherwise?"

She offered Mendocino his billfold. He nodded at it. "If there's not enough cash, use the card. Doc says I'll mend. Said I'll need physical therapy."

She waved at him, putting the wallet back in the closet. "I don't want your credit card. Pay me later." She pointed to the cookie tin as she turned to leave. "Those are medicinal cookies. Made them myself for you." She grinned. "They'll make you well. Eat up. I'll be back shortly with clothes for you."

To Mendocino's chagrin, before she could return with clothing, LeBeouf and Wright walked in. Each dressed in a suit again. Wearing the almost see-through gown that wouldn't cover his backside was about as irritating as the pain.

"How are you this evening?" LeBeouf asked. This time, both agents removed their masks inside his room, keeping their distance from him.

"Better." Mendocino glared at Wright. "I told you, don't come back."

"I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot." Wright's chin was still tilted, and his blank expression was anything but apologetic. LeBeouf forced the vacant apology.

Mendocino glanced from Wright to LeBeouf. "What can I do for you?"

LeBeouf answered, "Wondered if you remembered any more about the other day. If you'd given any thought to working with us."

"I did remember something. A tent. A small tent. Maybe the victims were camping?"

"Yes. They had a tent," LeBeouf said.

"It's the only thing I can think of. About working with you. I don't understand what you mean. I gave up my badge."

The agents exchanged knowing looks and LeBeouf cleared his throat, but before the elder agent could speak, Wright jumped in. "We, uh, discussed putting you in protective custody. Get the word out that you're alive. We'd keep you covered. Nab them when they come for you."

Mendocino stared at the two for a long moment, at a loss for words. Then he guffawed. Loudly. "Have you lost your frigging minds?" He shifted in his bed. "That's the stupidest thing I ever heard."

LeBeouf was conciliatory. "Mr. Jones, the FBI has a very good record-"

Mendocino raised his left hand, showing his palm. "Stop. I'm not anybody's bait."

"We frequently protect people who cooperate with us," Wright said. "We can protect you and catch a killer."

"Protect me from what?" Forgetting his pain and skimpy gown, Mendocino swung his feet to the floor, stepping toward the pair with his bare feet, his face twisted, voice loud. "They think I'm dead. If they find out otherwise, I'll be looking for you two. Now, get out."

A nurse rushed in. "What's going on in here?"

"These men were just leaving." Mendocino sat back on the bed, clutching his chest. Bad move, jumping up like that. "Don't let them back in my room." He addressed the nurse through agonizing pain. Sitting hunched over, he tilted his head to eye LeBeouf and Wright. "Get out."

"You just threatened two federal agents." Wright's upper lip snarled.

"Are you deaf? I said, get out!"

Wright puffed his chest like a banty rooster, his little almond eyes shooting darts. "We don't take orders from civilians. We are federal law enforcement."

Mendocino shifted his focus from the agents to the nurse. "Get them out. Don't let them back in. Please."

"