One Dead End After Another

Amos returned to Tillie's hospital room, speaking to the relief deputy posted at her door, repeating his security instructions to the new man

Amos returned to Tillie's hospital room, speaking to the relief deputy posted at her door, repeating his security instructions to the new man. "No one comes in here but hospital staff, Mendocino, or me."

He walked in and saw Tillie still unconscious, Mendocino still anchored to that same plastic chair. "Rogers is dead. They called me at home."

Mendocino stood. "How?"

Amos raised his hands in exasperation. "Too much blood loss, I guess. All I know is, we won't get any answers from him. I've already asked. They won't let me get a warrant to see if any of Roger's weapons match the bullets from Big Bend, since it's federal. And we don't have any ballistics with the José Doe case, remember? So, I can't link him to anything more than the attack on Tillie. What's the deal with the feds?"

Mendocino scoffed. "Useless. I told LeBeouf I would identify Sartain. Said I'd file a formal statement. Be an eyewitness if he'd bring Sartain in for questioning. I told him about the missing forensics, even about Max Rogers, trying to get him to see if Rogers' weapons were used in Big Bend."

"And?"

Mendocino stretched his neck from side to side. "Inferred I was drunk when I saw Sartain at the Starlight. Won't do it. He's afraid of the Watsons. Said as much."

"The missing evidence?" Amos's eyes showed his dismay.

"Didn't care."

"I may not be able to keep the case." Amos walked to the window. "This may go to another detective who works homicide. I'm supposed to stick to narcotics unless I pull a homicide on call."

Mendocino glanced at Tillie. "You think they'd charge me for killing him?"

"No, man. The shooting was justified. But the chief told me if anyone died, homicide takes over. Maybe he meant if Tillie died. Hell, I don't know anything. I didn't think he'd die. Wasn't prepared for it."

"What about Rogers' phone?" Mendocino asked.

"Burner. All of his calls were to and from Bar W Security. There's one other."

"You know who it is?"

"Not yet. But I will."

"When you get a name, bring that person in for questioning," Mendocino said.

"Maybe."

"Hell, Amos. Rogers worked for Sartain. You don't even need the warrant to question him. Ask Sartain and whoever this other phone connection is if they'll come in and answer a few questions to help us understand Rogers' motive. Be pitiful and innocent. Get a read on them."

"Good idea."

"What about Bobby? How'd he take the theory that Rogers killed his cousin?"

"I needed a fire extinguisher." Amos grinned wide. "I'd bet money he and Hank have already hatched a plan to find out what happened. They can move faster than us. They don't have to justify probable cause."