Bigger Than He Imagined

Character Designs by Dana Nicole Joiner

Walking past the guard, Mendocino aimed his thumb at the door. "No one goes in there but Amos. Not even hospital personnel."

Clute's young replacement deputy stood abruptly; his brows knitted as he stared at Enriqueta. "Wherever you're taking her, she doesn't want to go."

Mendocino snapped. "She'll be back in one piece. We can't talk in front of Tillie."

The guard stepped forward as if about to try and stop Mendocino, but Hank stepped between them. "Leave it alone, son." They walked by.

The deputy was calling Amos, no doubt.

Mendocino whispered as he took Enriqueta's wrist from Bobby, "We don't have much time." He dragged her down the hall as she pulled against him. He flicked on the light in an empty room and shoved her, with both hands, into the plastic visitor's chair beside the bed. "Sit down."

Hank closed the door to the hallway, standing in front of it. Mendocino and Bobby loomed over Enriqueta; her eyes were more angry than afraid. "I want a lawyer."

"Do we look like cops?" Hank stepped toward her. "I don't give a tinker's damn about your legal rights. You tell me why you're poisoning my brother. He's already coherent, just one day away from you."

She smirked. "I knew you weren't bringing him back."

"Who do you work for?" Hank's face was twisted, his tone, his body language menacing.

Stone-faced, she avoided all of their gazes, staring off into oblivion. Bobby's voice had a dangerous edge. "Lady, your time is running out."

She glared up at him. "Take me back to the cop."

"Are you dense?" Hank roared, stepping closer. "You're not going back to the cop."

"You said yesterday April hired you. Is she your boss?" Bobby asked.

Enriqueta's eyes were menacing. "Yes, April."

Bobby and Hank exchanged knowing looks. Bobby sighed and dropped his head.

Mendocino was watching. "No." He nodded at Enriqueta, his gaze on Bobby. "You gave her a name. She used it. Did you give her the name yesterday? Or did she come up with it on her own?"

"I can't be sure."

"I can," Hank said. "You asked her yesterday, 'Is April paying you?'"

"It's not April." Mendocino was certain. "How about Sartain? Colonel Ed Sartain?"

Enriqueta flinched, just the slightest.

"It is!" Hank's upper lip curled. "You work for that son of a bitch. Now talk before I strangle the life out of you."