About the Watsons' Hearts

Character Designs by Dana Nicole Joiner

As he pulled out of the parking space, watching the man he passed on the sidewalk enter the gift shop in his rear-view mirror, Bobby Watson asked April, "Did you see that guy?"

"I can't say I noticed anyone." She took off her sunglasses, smiling at him.

He cut his eyes at her. "That would be a first."

She leaned over, put her hand high on Bobby's thigh, and whispered, "I only have eyes for you."

"Cut it out, April." He jerked his thigh away. "I told you. I'm not going there."

She recoiled, flouncing her hair as she turned to face the window pouting. They had spent a lot of time together since John David's death. She lost her husband. He lost his cousin and best friend. They'd become close, but now April wanted more from the relationship than he was willing to give.

"I guess you're talking about the good-looking guy with the scar." She flipped down the visor mirror loudly, stroking her brow with a pinky finger. "Nice eyes."

Bobby was probably the only man who ever rebuffed April. Raised the child of a wealthy banker, she had succeeded in getting everything she ever wanted, including the Watson name and fortune. "What happened to 'I only have eyes for you?'"

"Apparently you don't care," she snapped.

"I don't."

Silence. They drove for miles, neither speaking, Bobby surveying Bar W cattle grazing on either side of the highway.

"You didn't use to feel that way." Her crystal green eyes glinted.

"One time, April. And we were both drunk. It shouldn't have happened. But it did. Since John David died, I've hated it, and you know it. I'll be damned if I'll slip into his bed and take his wife after he's gone. Can you imagine what people would say?"

"Who gives a shit what people say? And your memory fails you. It was more than once."

"You weren't his wife."

"So, what? I was his, and you were supposed to be Tillie's."

He had no quick comeback. He felt differently now. It happened before she married John David.

Another long stretch of silence until April's voice dripped contempt. "It's Tillie, isn't it? You're going to be a lonesome old man mooning over that little bitch."

"Leave her out of this." His tone was menacing. "This isn't about Tillie. It's about you being my cousin's wife. I miss the hell out of him."

April sneered. "Well, honey, you better buck it up and move on, because life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday."

"What?"

"Khalil Gibran." She tilted her head back, her chin high. "Really, Bobby. A man of your stature should try reading once in a while. The point is, we lost them both. We aren't getting them back."