Chapter 48

James was in the office when the doorbell rang.

Elaine answered it, "can I help you?" She asked the two men standing at their door.

"Is your husband here, I work at the hospital with him" Lou lied.

"Sure, he's in his office" she waved them in, "just down the hall"

Lou walked in and closed the door behind him.

"How did you find me?" James asked, "what are you doing here?"

Lou looked his bodyguard, "just happened to be in the neighborhood" he sat on the desk "you need to tell us anything? Anything at all?"

James wasn't sure what Lou was asking "no, should I?"

Lou shrugged his shoulders, "nah, guess not" he picked up a picture off the desk "cute kids, grandchildren?"

James snatched the picture out of Lou's hands "yes, my daughter's children" he was becoming more uncomfortable with each passing second "what do you want?"

Lou got in his face "just make sure you're doing the right thing,I would hate for anything to happen to those kids" he smiled, "we're done here"

Adam was on the treadmill when Jay joined him "your brother Jay, he's still sniffing around my wife"

Jay paused the treadmill and stopped running "I don't know what to tell you Ruzek, I'm sorry"

Adam stepped off the treadmill and wiped the sweat from his brow "it's not your fault man, I don't know how long I can let this go on"

"Do what you need to do Will is a big boy" Jay was fed up with Will "at this rate I may help you kick his ass"

Adam sat down, "whats going on with the case, my father in law is he going to be okay?"

Jay sighed "you know I can't answer that Adam, just trust us"

Adam tossed the towel in the basket "Jay, I don't like keeping this from Kim"

"Hopefully we will shut it down soon" Jay could sympathize with Adam "Kim will understand"

Adam wasn't so sure, "she is furious with me man, she think I'm pissed off about her and Adam having lunch with Will yesterday"

"They had lunch?"

"After Adam's appointment, they wanted me to go" Adam started.

"But we had a case" Jay finished Adam's sentence.

"Kim and Adam went anyway, Will walked in a few minutes later Adam invited him to sit with them" he told him "now, having to keep this from Kim is just adding to the tension between her and I"

Kim watched as Adam tried teaching Liam how to hold a hockey stick and shoot pucks into the goal, this was exactly what Adam needed.

She heard Adam's truck pull in the driveway her stomach in knots over this entire mess, she felt like Adam was holding something back.

"Hey boys!" Adam called out, "Adam, keep an eye on Liam for me, I need to speak with your mom" he needed to do apologize.

"Sure, dad, Liam's got a pretty good wrist shot" the joy back in his voice.

Adam smiled, "please Kim, come inside" he saw her reluctance "I'm an ass, I know"

"What is it?" She said once in the house Dani, coloring at the table.

"I blew the whole lunch thing out of proportion, I know it was nothing" he grabbed her hand "I guess I was a little jealous"

"Adam Ruzek, you have nor reason to be jealous, especially of Will Halstead" she hugged him "I love you"

"I love you too" he held her.

"Adam, are you sure nothing else is going on?"

"Darlin', I'm fine" he lied.

"We can't keep Burgess on board, we asked him if he had anything to tell us and he said Jack shit" Lou said to the group "for all we know he is working with the cops"

"What are you saying? Are you suggesting we get rid of him?"

Lou nodded "yes, as of now he's the weakest link. Make it look sloppy, a home invasion type deal and get our shit out of his safe"