Chapter 11: New Romantics

Quince sat nervously on the bench, twirling her hockey stick between her fingers as she waited for Coach Thompson to finish his conversation with another player. She could feel the tension in the air, knowing that she was next in line for what she anticipated would be a stern talking-to.

Finally, Coach Thompson turned his attention to Quince, his expression serious. "Quince, we need to talk," he said, gesturing for her to follow him to a quieter corner of the rink.

Quince's heart sank as she trailed after him, her mind racing with worry. Had she done something wrong? Was she about to be benched for the next game? She tried to push the thoughts aside, focusing instead on the conversation that was about to unfold.

Once they were out of earshot of the other players, Coach Thompson turned to face Quince, his gaze piercing. "Quince, I need to be honest with you," he began, his tone grave. "You're not performing up to par out there on the ice."

Quince felt a knot form in her stomach at his words. She knew she hadn't been playing her best lately, but she hadn't realized it was so noticeable to her coach. "I'm sorry, Coach," she mumbled, feeling her cheeks flush with embarrassment. "I'll try harder, I promise."

Coach Thompson shook his head, his expression unwavering. "Trying harder isn't enough, Quince," he said firmly. "You need to put in the extra effort if you want to improve. That means staying after practice and working on your skills until they're where they need to be."

Quince nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. She knew that if she wanted to succeed in hockey, she couldn't afford to slack off. "I'll do whatever it takes, Coach," she replied determinedly. "I won't let you down."

Coach Thompson studied her for a moment before nodding in approval. "Good," he said. "I believe in you, Quince. But you need to believe in yourself too."

With that, he clapped her on the shoulder before turning to walk back onto the ice. Quince watched him go, feeling a renewed sense of determination coursing through her veins. She knew it wouldn't be easy, but she was willing to put in the work to prove herself to her coach and her teammates.

As she made her way onto the ice for some extra practice, Quince couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that lingered in the pit of her stomach. She knew that staying after practice to work on her skills would mean sacrificing Luke by being mad at her for over-pushing her body but she knew he was out with Jack. But she also knew that if she wanted to improve, she couldn't afford to let distractions get in the way.

       With a sigh, Quince pushed aside her thoughts of Luke and focused on the task at hand. She skated onto the ice, determination etched into every line of her face as she prepared to give it her all.

        Hours passed, and Quince found herself alone on the ice, the only sound the rhythmic swish of her skates against the cold surface. She had lost track of time as she practiced, pushing herself harder with each passing minute.

       As she came to a stop at center ice, her breath coming in ragged gasps, Quince couldn't help but feel a sense of pride wash over her. Despite the initial sting of Coach Thompson's criticism, she had persevered, determined to prove herself and become the best player she could be.

       But as she glanced at her phone to check the time, her heart sank at the sight of multiple missed calls and messages from Luke. Guilt gnawed at her insides as she realized just how much time had passed since she had last spoken to him.

       With a heavy sigh, Quince slipped off her skates and grabbed her bag, feeling the weight of her exhaustion settling in her bones. She knew she owed Luke an explanation for her absence, but she couldn't shake the feeling of disappointment in herself for letting him down once again.