Chapter 7: How you get the girl

Lukes pov

      I found myself sitting across from my brother Jack, the weight of my unspoken feelings for Quince heavy on my mind. Jack, ever perceptive, noticed my somber demeanor and leaned forward, concern etched on his face.

      "Luke, what's going on?" he asked, his voice gentle but insistent. "You seem really down lately."

    I sighed, running a hand through my hair as I struggled to find the right words. How could I explain to Jack that I was head over heels for Quince, but she had no idea? How could I admit that I was terrified of ruining our friendship by confessing my feelings?

      "It's just...Quince," I began, my voice trailing off as I struggled to articulate the turmoil in my heart. "I...I really like her, Jack. But I'm scared to tell her."

       Jack nodded sympathetically, his expression softening with understanding. "I get it, Luke," he said, his voice gentle but firm. "But sometimes, you have to take a chance. If you never tell her how you feel, you'll always wonder 'what if?'"

       His words hit me like a ton of bricks, a sudden clarity washing over me. He was right. I couldn't continue to let my fear hold me back from happiness. If I wanted to be with Quince, I had to be willing to take a chance, regardless of the outcome.

       "But what if she doesn't feel the same way?" I asked, the fear creeping back into my voice.

       Jack shrugged, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Then at least you'll know where you stand," he said. "But you'll never know unless you ask."

        His words echoed in my mind, pushing me to confront my fears and take a leap of faith. With a newfound sense of determination, I made up my mind. I had to tell Quince how I felt, even if it meant risking our friendship.

       "Thanks, Jack," I said, feeling a surge of gratitude for my brother's unwavering support as he pulls me into a hug. "I think you're right. It's time to take a chance."

        Jack clapped me on the shoulder as we pulled apart, a proud smile on his face. "That's the spirit, lukey," he said. "Now go ask her out. You've got this."

Rain drummed against the windowpanes, a relentless rhythm that matched the turmoil in my heart. I stood in front of Quince's apartment door, my hand hovering uncertainly over the doorbell. The air crackled with anticipation, and every nerve in my body tingled with nervous energy. This was it. The moment I had been building up to for months.

      Taking a deep breath, I pressed the doorbell and waited, my heart pounding in my chest. The seconds stretched into eternity before the door finally swung open, revealing Quince standing there, a surprised look on her face as she took in my soaked appearance.

       "Luke?" she exclaimed, her eyes widening in astonishment. "What are you doing here? And in this weather?"

       "I...uh...can I come in?" I stammered, feeling suddenly unsure of myself.

       Quince hesitated for a moment before stepping aside, allowing me to enter. I stepped into the warmth of her apartment, the contrast to the cold, rainy night outside striking. Droplets of water dripped from my hair and clothes, leaving a trail of puddles in my wake.