CHAPTER 10

"How could you Finn?" Sally sat crumpled in the navy-blue chenille couch, her chin resting on the kneecaps of her legs, bent at the knees, and the heels of her bare feet tucked against her naked ass. Her eyes were puffy and pink, and her mascara had stained her flushed cheeks in a faded clownish pigment that bemused Finn. Her lips quivered, and she plucked a fresh white tissue from the square container beside her as she concealed the spent tissue in her other hand and dabbed the corners of her eyes.

"I suppose we did make an open-relationship pact Finn, but Jesus, this happened before we did that. And not to mention that Lucy is Matt's girlfriend. You know what you are Finn, you're a fucking home wrecker. I hope you feel proud of yourself."

She jolted her head away from Finn and stared out the window above the couch.

"I didn't mean for it to happen, I promise Sally," said Finn. "It just did, you know. And it was only phone sex. Yeah, I know that doesn't make it any better, but it wasn't physical sex like..."

"Like Charlene and me Finn? Fuck you! You were the one who wanted a threesome with Charlene and me and watching us getting each other off excited you, Finn. See the difference? I'm not excited, at all, by you and Lucy fucking, even if it only was on the phone." As she finished, she broke out in a gut-wrenching sob that trailed off to a whisper as she exhausted her breath. Finn attempted to reach out his hand to Sally's shoulder. Sally ignored his desperate gesture and went on sobbing, her palms masking her eyes. She sniffed twice and lay back against the armrest of the couch.

Finn couldn't say anything to help improve the situation. He crouched next to Sally and rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. He rested his forehead against the pads of his thumb and forefinger.

He despised himself. More so for his admission of guilt. He half expected Sally to be on board with all this since that was the agreement. He despised the situation as much as he despised himself. He felt that the scenario was unfair, Sally could have fun with an outsider, yet he couldn't. He tried looking at the circumstances from her position but thought she didn't have a convincing enough argument. Then he looked at it, as if though he were an outsider, from his own perspective and felt that he did. After going back and forth in his mind over and over he recalled how he broke the news to her on the walk back home from the bar. It was a clear and warm night. The silver moon was full and large, and the air was cooled by a slight breeze. They were both in exceeding spirits, slightly tipsy with Lucy still lingering in the contentment of her 'under the table' orgasm. They walked with arms interlocked in a playful crablike gait. Finn felt that this was the perfect moment, to reveal his deed. Their love was strong, and their relationship could handle a little surprise.

"I have something I need to tell you Sal," he said.

"No, we're not getting married Finn, not yet anyway," she joked and then laughed at her own joke.

Finn remained silent.

"You're not joking Finn, or laughing, is it serious," her voice stiffened.

He looked down the groaning road for a moment before focusing on Sally's floating face before him. He reminded her of his workday at home and told her about forgetting the VPN server number at work and that he had phoned Matt to get it, but Lucy answered Matt's phone, that he forgot at home. 

"And before I Knew it, we were having phone sex." He felt his mouth become dry. It sounded better in his head, beneath all the covers of twisted justification.

Sally stopped walking, and he stopped. She turned to face Finn and searched his face with her squinting eyes. Her forehead formed a deep burrow right above the bridge of her nose. 

Matt feeling confused, "What? It was only... phone sex, Sal."

"When was this, Finn?"

"Last week sometime, what difference does it make, we're in an open relationship now and I saw you with Charlene last night, right?"