Untitled Part 25

In my holding cell, Wexler say, "They can't win and they know it. You have a lot of money coming your way."

I say, "I don't want it."

"What's wrong? Talk to me, buddy. Is this about her?"

"No. Yes. I don't know."

"Just because I'm your lawyer doesn't mean I don't care about you. I know you're hurting. Have you ever heard the phrase, "All is fair in love and war"?"

"No, Wexler."

"You went through a war that night at that house. And you lost her. You lose some. You win some. People in your life...they come and go. Especially women."

"She the only one."

"I don't mean to sound inhuman right now but you're gonna know other women...someday. You'll be rich and famous when you get out. Your girlfriend, she wasn't a goddess. I mean, there are limits to how beautiful a woman can be. Right?"

"You be surprise."

"Look, I'm gonna put you on the stand soon and you need to have your head on straight okay?"

"Where them camera send this? Everybody see this?"

"They are recording the trial yes. It's going out all over the country. You are the most watched and most talked about thing out there."

"Good. I can tell everybody all the bad thing I do."

"Whoa, whoa. I strongly urge against that."

"But"-

Wexler get up. "I don't need to know this. No one does."

"There was this woman one time. She lose a eyeball. I-I"-

"You don't need to tell anyone that. Except for a priest."

"Who?"

"You know what a priest is right?"

"Wexler, you know what I do to all them men in that house and you still wanna be around me?"

"Hey, I'm not Dugan. He's gone anyway. You're safe from him. I am your FRIEND. Friends never look away."

"But I just like them two...African. Bad just like them."

"Who? Listen, what you need to do is bottle all this up, save it for later. You can't go on the stand like this. You need to calm down. Take a deep breath."

"But you say we win the case no matter what."

"Yes, this case. But then there's the next case. And we talked about that. Now, your co-operation with the authorities, giving up your old boss Dugan, and working with that FBI profiler, that was very good of you. That's gonna factor into your sentencing. Now, you can tell the jury all the crap you've done and we'll still win this case but everybody is watching and public opinion matters in the court room and even though I won't be defending you, like I said, I like you and I care about you and you'll only be making things easier for the prosecutor in your next case. I'm telling you this as a friend. Be good and do everything the next guy tells you."

"You don't wanna be my lawyer anymore?"

"Young man, I wish I could. I really do. But I'm not a defense lawyer. I'm a prosecutor."

Excerpt from Day 2 of trial

July 31 1989

Wexler(Prosecutor): ...What thing?

Kasey(Screenwriter): This thing where two movies come out and they look alike, one is garbage and the other is great. That's not a coincidence. See there's a hot director and he has a movie in production and the script leaks to a competing studio and there's this groundbreaking bank shootout scene they know is gonna be a big thing so they throw a movie together based around a cheap imitation of that scene hoping it'll sell. And it doesn't matter if the rest of the movie is garbage. I know it's a reach but they're thinking people will want to see their movie because it looks like the good movie. As long as the two movies release right on top of each other no one's gonna yell plagiarism. It's not a shot for shot copy. Is it stealing? Almost. Not quite. It's borrowing