Chapter 4 - Decisions

**EDITED**

"We can provide the best home for the child! I own many, many companies and corporations! She can have the best schooling! The best tutors! The best of everything!"

"Mr. Jefferson, the answer is still no.", said Warden MacGregor. "I do not believe that you are the best fit for Evvie as a family. She's...she is a special child Mr. Jefferson. I do not believe you or your wife will be best suited to...parent her."

"Are you implying Mrs. Jefferson and I will not be great parents!? That we can not take care of a child!?", he blustered, turning bright red with anger.

Mr. Jefferson and his wife were in Jessica's office trying to convince her to allow them to adopt Evvie. Jessica was exhausted for she had been speaking with them for almost close to an hour. Nevertheless, she will not budge from her decision to grant this couple their wish. She will NOT grant any couple their wish to adopt Evvie. She shuddered inwardly. She can't!

"Sir, I am not calling your ability to parent a child into question. Simply, this child! She requires...a great deal of...patience and understanding that no parent can...deal with for the best results. I am simply asking you to consider another child. One more suited to your family structure." She paused, "A man like yourself would do well with a son. A tall, strapping lad. One that would do you well and be a great help to your wife. Who will respect you and look up to you."

Mr. Jefferson frowned quizzically. "Do you have such a child here?"

Jessica breathed a soft sigh of relief to herself. "Why yes we do! Matthew is twelve years old, tall for his age and a really intelligent boy. He also looks like you sir...somewhat. With dark hair and eyes. I would even go as far as to say...after a while one may even believe you to be his natural father perhaps".

Mr. Jefferson smiled. "Well then! It's settled! We will have the boy! After all, now that I think of it, it would be obvious that Evvie isn't ours. Not so, Maeve?"

"Why yes dear." Mrs. Jefferson said softly. "I would rather a son instead. A lad will be easier to...deal with. I...I don't believe I would be able to mother a little girl properly," she timidly stated.

"Why didn't you say so!" He snapped, shaking his head. "Never mind! Warden...we will adopt the boy! He will be given every possible advantage. Finest schools and tutors! He will make us proud!"

"I'm very glad to hear it, Mr. Jefferson." She stood up and walked over and opened the door, beckoning to the maid standing nearby.
"Please allow Julia to escort you to the parlor so that you can meet Matthew and get to know him."

Mr and Mrs. Jefferson stood up and quickly walked out the door.

"Thank you Warden! I shall be making a very healthy donation to this orphanage! Very healthy indeed!" He blustered importantly, wide smile upon his face.

"You are welcome, Mr. Jefferson. And thank you for any donation. Julia will give you the documents needed to sign."

Julia dipped a curtesy and preceded the Jeffersons down the hallway. Jessica noticed the timid smile of relief on Mrs. Jefferson's face and the relaxation of her shoulders. She realized from the start that Mrs. Jefferson was intimidated by the beauty of Evvie and she knew that the woman will never be able to convince herself (or anyone for that matter) that she was comfortable being the girl's mother. Jessica also noticed the glances Mrs. Jefferson kept giving Matthew while they were out in the garden earlier. Matthew was a sweet child, very loving but strong. He will take care of Mrs. Jefferson and Jessica also knew that Mrs. Jefferson will lose her timidity for her new son.

Jessica closed her office door and walked over to her chair and sat, sighing deeply. The other visitors had expressed interest in Evvie and she had managed to convince them to adopt other children. One couple refused the offer of another child and stormed out of her office, screeching profanities at her. She was very thankful they refused to take another child after that display!
She now has to face the last couple of the day. The Johnsons. she did not know if she had any more energy within her to fight one more battle. She knew this was going to be the hardest of the day, for she has seen the looks in the Johnson's eyes. They will not back down. Even worst, she saw the look in Evvie's eyes. She knew then that this was the couple Evvie has chosen. She cannot lose this fight!