Chapter 2 - (Part 1) The Warden

February, 2014...

The woman stood looking out of the office window. Her gaze penetrated the slight mist which hovered over the view of the lawn on which her eyes were pinned. Children of varying ages sat or played with balls, jump ropes, assortment of toys and books. But her gaze particularly settled on one child who was sat under an old maple tree about 100 yards from where the children played.

Evvie. She was seated on a blanket under the tree with what she knew was picture book in her hands reading. Evvie always looked at picture books. Funny thing is no one knew why. The Warden gazed at the girl, her thoughts far away.

A knock sounded at the door. "Warden? The guests are gathered in the parlour. Shall I tell them you will be there in a bit?" Julia glanced around the door looking in at the warden.

"Tell them I'll be there shortly. Serve tea and crumpets in the meantime. "

Julia nodded and started to close the door when the warden spoke again.

"And Julia?"

"Yes Ma'am?"

"Before the children come in...please ask Evvie to go into the village with you. Tell her you need company, whatever. I don't want her here when...you know. "

"Warden are you sure this is what you want to do? I mean...after the last time...." She trailed off. Her eyes wide and scared.

"Just do what I say alright!?" The warden snapped.

"Yes ma'am. "

"Thank you. You may go. "

As Julia hurried away the warden turned her gaze back out the window. She looked at Evvie and a chill came over her. She shuddered and turned away from the window only to see Evvie sitting in her chair.

"Hello Jessica." Evvie said softly.

The warden's hand went up to her chest as she gasped. She straightened her shoulders, released a sigh and set her mouth firmly.

"I wish you would stop doing that," she grumbled as she walked over to stand in front of her desk and looked Evvie in her eyes.

"I wish you would desist in your attempts to foil my plans."

"Your 'plans' as you put it is completely dangerous!" The warden cooly acknowledged.

Evvie smiled. "Dangerous? Maybe. But it needs to be done. I must do what I have to do. You need to stop trying to interfere." Her eyes suddenly glowed red and she snarled. "Or else I will destroy you and everyone here! YOU WILL NOT INTERFERE ANYMORE!"

The Warden took a deep breath and met Evvie's look for look. She can only pray she didn't notice her hands shaking slightly.

"I will do whatever is necessary to protect everyone concerned..." She whispered softly, "...and I will NOT be threatened by you."

Evvie's eye glowed for another few seconds and she suddenly laughed and relaxed back into the chair.

"Relax Jessica. No need to get all riled up now is there? Besides I like you and would really hate to see you...hurt."

She smiled with a playful look in her eyes. "But if you ever try to stop me again? I will rip your heart out."

With that she slowly stood up, looked the warden in the eyes until the warden's eyes dropped and walked out the room, softly closing the door behind her.

The Warden released a deep sigh and swallowed hard. She walked back over to the window, this time unable to see anything because her eyes were blinded by the tears slowly rolling down her face.

(Well I just gave you all a little teaser! now I've other chapters ready and waiting but I won't update til I have 15 votes! So get a voting! Those with mobile apps just click on the little star at the end of the chapter! and please please please comment! :( plzzzzz!)

P.S. 3 more votes and I'll update! Anyone? Please please please? :(