Ch-ch-changes.

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." – Jane Austen.

Penelope had picked a powdered blue, short, strappy, summer dress with a ruffled hem. It had a corset look around the waist that pulled her in perfectly, and then it had a little tie at her cleavage. It pulled her in, in all the right places, and Penelope felt beautiful in it. It was one of her favourites, and not to mention. Jake loved it. She paired it with some high strappy white sandals and some silver jewellery. It was perfect for the summer. She had done a simple red lip under Gen's instructions, with a little blush, and some mascara to make her eye's pop. Gen had sat on FaceTime the whole time that Penelope got ready.

Her words of encouragement were along the lines of "make their eyes fall out their heads."

Gen was her fairy godmother, fuck, she really was Cinderella.

Penelope had decided to stay with Jake last night. It made it an easier escape it the morning. They had a pizza night with movies and a few beers, it was nice. Except, she hated his choice of movies, they were horrendous, if she had to watch 'Fast and the Furious' one more time she really thought she'd gouged her own eyes out her head. As she got ready, he was packing her multiple suitcases in the car before their trip. She always packed far too much but then again; she was away for a full summer. Jake stood at the door watching her pucker her lips in the mirror, "Jeez Penny, how am I meant to focus on the road?" He laughed approaching her and leaned down to softly plant a kiss on her cheek. All she could do was laugh. He was a charmer, she did like that. She had heard rumours of his playboy ways in the past, and his 'charms', but he wasn't like that with her. Deep down she quickly learned he was different from his persona, he was good to her, he was attentive. He was... nice.

They got to the car, and he took her hand and kissed it and then held it in between them on the console. He didn't want to let go. He looked worried, pensive, in deep thought for the whole journey. I mean, he barely even looked at her throughout their journey there. It was an awkward three hours' drive to say the least, she had tried to talk to him, but he would just change the subject or talk about something completely irrelevant.

She couldn't help but feel that maybe he had second thoughts about this whole relationship announcement.

The staff at the Bridgerton house got her bags, and they quickly fixed themselves after the journey. Penelope quickly looked in the mirror in the car and took a deep breath. Here goes' nothing. As they got to the Bridgerton door, he grabbed her hand, kissed it, and then walked in. She could hear the crowd of people in the garden, and some summer music blaring. No doubt Gregory's playlist as it sounded almost 'current'.

Champagne was given on arrival of course, and canopies came around each corner. Violet was nothing but a diligent host. As they finally reached the French doors to the garden, Jake turned around to face her, "You ready babe?"

He smiled. She nodded.

He had worn a blue shirt to match her dress, so if that didn't give their status away, the hand holding definitely would. She walked behind her beau, and she heard a cheer coming from the crowd in front of them. She kept her head low, "FIFE, MATE! You finally brought the missies?"

It was Colin.

He obviously hadn't notice it was her, Fife was much taller, and broader than Penelope, so she could hide behind him quite successfully. She gripped his hand. As Colin ran closer, he stopped and gasped when Penelope emerged behind him. Jake lifted Penelope's hand and kissed it in front of everyone, "Yeah, I sure did."

It took everyone a moment before it clicked.

Penelope hadn't replied to Colin when he messaged her the other week. She quickly drew in a shaky breath and raised her head to face them. She knew this would be a shock as Penelope and Fife weren't exactly... 'expected'.