Midnights.

"I loved you before I even knew what love meant." – Bridgett Devoue.

It had been a long day; everyone was either extremely drunk or absolutely shattered. Penelope wanted desperately to speak with Colin as soon as they got back. But he got dragged away with Violet into town as soon as he stepped out the car. So Penelope took the few hours for a much-needed nap. That nap had turned into a full sleep, she woke up much later, and noticed a dinner plate beside her on the bed with a note from Eloise.

Penelope, here's dinner. I didn't want to wake you, you were snoring. LOUDLY. Let's have a girly afternoon tomorrow? Missed you! El x

She checked the clock on her phone, it had just passed midnight. The food was cold, and Penelope wasn't in the mood to eat cold steak and chips. She got up from her bed and made her way to the window. She noticed how beautiful the moonlight was on the gardens outside. Aubrey Hall was picturesque on a summer's night, it always was. It was like an oil painting, similar to ones hanging around the house that she currently occupied. She had a fantastic idea to make a peppermint tea, grab a book, and read a romance under the stars.

Her perfect night.

She changed into jogging bottoms, an oversized hoodie, and then she grabbed the dinner plate and made her way down the stairs towards the kitchen. She tried to be as quiet as possible. There were a few clinks of cutlery against the plate as she walked, but she had her fingers crossed that she hadn't woke anyone.

The Bridgerton house was quiet, very quiet. She had never heard it without noise, screams or spats. It was actually rather nice. Penelope left her uneaten dinner on the side, grabbed a peppermint tea, and made her way outside. She had found the comfy swing seat that overlooked the lake and placed her feet up while she gently swung underneath a midnight sky.

She took a deep breath and actually smelled the flowers in bloom.

Why couldn't moments like this last forever?

She picked up her book, pulled her hood over her hair, she pulled her knees up on the swing and placed the book in front of her wedging it on her thighs. She wanted to escape into a book, in the most perfect setting.

___________

"I cannot let you burn me up, nor can I resist you. No mere human can stand in a fire and not be consumed."

Possession by A.S. Byatt

___________

Penelope loved a romance; she always imagined her and Colin in the main roles when she was younger. It's how she got to live out her 'fantasy'. That way she could go to bed dreaming. He had been the love of her life since she was seven years old. It rather was daunting, she had spent the better part of 15 years imagining him to be this perfect specimen of a man, only to be knocked down to reality two years ago.

But she realised that he was imperfect, but then again, that somehow made her love him even more. This summer she had seen a different side of him. Not only did he look different, but the way he treated her, it was natural, it was comforting, and it was romantic.

Two years ago when she sat on the train and watched the love of her life kiss her cousin, it clattered her heart. That wasn't the first time. Her heart had been shattered repeatedly by the same boy for so long. But it wasn't his fault. How was he to know his younger sister's best friend had been pining for him for years. It was ridiculous to think he would have saw her in any other light than that. So, over the years she sat back and watched him go out with different girls, kiss different girls, and all the time come running back to her for approval.