Seventeen

A/N: Here's another chapter. If things go as planned, I should be able to complete this arc before January. Leave a few reviews if you can <3

PERSEUS slowed his horse to a small trot as he neared Diomedes, his heart rate slowing. He was tired, battered and bloody. The blood which coated him wasn't his though, and Perseus had been more worried for his brother. He had sensed the godly presence almost immediately, and then from across the battlefield he had seen Aeneas and Diomedes fighting, and then seen the appearance of the goddess of love. He'd gotten there just as Aeneas had been taken away with his mother.

Now, he slowly approached Diomedes, who had picked up his fallen swords. The man whirled on his feet to join the fray once more, and then stilled, stumbling back in surprise. On top of his horse, Perseus imitated the enemy king, stiffening as the air condensed in front of the other man. The other immortal, golden clad, and fair haired, flicked a wrist and Diomedes went flying into the sand.

Apollo barely spared Perseus a glance, but then the air beside him contorted once more and a bulky strong-looking man appeared. He wore blood red armour, a helmet in the shape of a boar and an assortment of weapons hung from his belt. His cloak was red too, and Perseus could hear screams from the battle rising, as though the fighting had been turned up by several hundred thousand notches. Blood red eyes landed on him and the god Ares gave him a blood curdling smile of greeting.

Perseus was stuck in his seat. He didn't dare speak.

He'd only seen this god once, and even then he'd been too drunk on anger at Poseidon's presence on Ida to fully take note of him. Ares' power was oppressive, and even now Perseus felt like he was choking. His eyes blurred and beneath his skin his ichor boiled and roared. Anger shot through his spine, at the presence of the two gods, at the interference, at Pandarus, and Paris, and all the gods-dammed men in this sea of death and carnage trying to destroy his city.

He shook his head, tightening his grip on his sword. It was the power of Ares. Influencing his thoughts and emotions. He was an immortal. He needed to learn how to tune out the effect of the gods.

Perseus sent a nod of recognition to the god, and Ares' gaze slid off him back to Diomedes, a glare settling on his face. Apollo waved his hand once more and an unseen force jerked Diomedes back to his feet.

"Bold of you to injure an Olympian goddess," The son of Zeus looked scornful, his expression thunderous. "You are lucky Aphrodite did not smite you where you stand."

"What, you've come to fight her battles for her?" Diomedes bared his teeth at them. He glanced at Perseus, then back to the two gods.

"I will cut out your tongue," Ares' voice was like nails across stone. "And then I will cut off your head and present it to Aphrodite myself."

Diomedes straightened, and Perseus leaned forward in his saddle. Behind the Greek, the air was shimmering, and then with an ear-splitting sound which made Perseus wince, the goddess Athena appeared hovering behind him. She looked regal, godly. And as those piercing grey eyes locked on him, Perseus straightened, feeling her looking at him—into him—gaze roving across his figure, and goosebumps spread on his skin. It felt as though a thousand little spiders were crawling across his body. Apollo's lips curled.

The pressure in the air was overwhelming. Perseus felt his vision blacken, and he shook his head again to focus.

"Sister, why do you stand against us?"

"The mortal has my favour," Athena's voice sounded like a thousand horses racing to battle. "I stand behind him."

"Then you shall watch him die," Apollo's heavy voice made him cringe. The golden god turned to Ares. "End this."