Chapter 15 • Whispers in the Dark

"To ask me if I miss her Would be like asking the starsIf they miss the nightAsking the sun If it missed its light Or asking the ocean If it missed the rivers That give it life

Would be like asking the stars
If they miss the night
Asking the sun
If it missed its light
Or asking the ocean
If it missed the rivers
That give it life."
~ Jared Krause

   I stood by the fire, my silk robe trailing behind me as I paced the length of my chambers, glancing expectantly at the door every now and then for Sebastian's arrival. Hours had passed since dinner and night had risen to its full glory. I did not know if Sebastian would come to see me tonight, as we had seen each other in the morning for our date. He surely had more important things to do than to find time for me twice in one day, but I could not sleep after what Father had told us. I had tried reading through the plethora of books to find more information about the curse and to distract myself from the knowledge of an impending war. It had worked well enough during the hours I had spent waiting for him to visit me, so much so that I had read through every page of every book, only to find information of little help. Whatever curse Sebastian had been bestowed with, its details were not easily accessible through the books in the library, which made the challenge all the more appealing.

   I considered painting, but I knew it would do me no good. I required a clear mind to paint, not one raging with thoughts of battle and death and lies... At least that is what I had been telling myself. Father had lied to us, that was a hard truth to accept. I wondered if Sebastian would lie to me as well. He did not owe me the truth. He was King and I merely his subject, but there was a part of me that hoped he might find me trustworthy enough to reveal to me the true aggressors of this war. I could not go on like this as a worried mess. I needed to speak with Sebastian. I needed answers. And I would get them. 

   Poking my head out my bedroom door, I found Lucien leaning up against the wall across from me. The opening of my door had been as silent as the night air, but he was already peering at me through the darkness, entirely alert. I nearly jumped in surprise at seeing him, and then almost screamed when his gaze hardened on me with the same rage he had looked at me with earlier that day. 

   "What are you doing?" We both demanded from one another, our voices echoing off the stone walls of the corridor. 

   "Me?" I questioned, bringing my voice down to a whisper. To be found here with him right outside my chamber doors would only lead to the worst kind of gossip. His being here was not appropriate, he had to have known that. "Why are you posted outside my door? It is the middle of the night." 

   "That is exactly why I am here," he grumbled in response. "Most people find the courage to harm others when they are veiled by darkness. At least, that is when I do it." He added in the last bit of information as though to intimidate me.