Chapter 20 • The Royal Curse

"You are the sun

"You are the sun

And I the moon.

And without your light I am nothing,

Yet without mine,

 you are still everything."

~ Darey

   Lucien did not hesitate to storm into my chambers after me. Any other time, I might have questioned the inappropriate nature of him being here, but I was just glad he had not gone running to inform the God King about Raymund's foolishness. 

   "You can not mention this to anyone," Lucien said, his firm tone a mask for the franticness that glinted in his eyes. He was nervous or scared or worried, and seeing him react in such a manner made me worry about the true extent of Raymund's foolishness.  "What was your brother thinking?"

   I shook my head, trying not to grow alarmed. "I don't know. He and some other Lords believe there is something unholy taking place in this castle." I waited for Lucien to laugh in my face or perhaps demand that what I was saying was ridiculous, but he only stood there, growing rather rigid. "He was... he was only joking. He's my brother - he was trying to scare me." 

   "The God King can not know about this," Lucien said and my stomach curled into knots. 

   I held his gaze and carefully said, "There is no such thing as a living corpse." 

   "Right," he swallowed.

   I stepped towards him, "So then why are you behaving like there is something sinister behind that door?"

   He shook his head, unable to answer. "If he was to get word that your brother knows-"

   "Do you know what is in that room?"

   "I am forbidden from knowing - we all are." I did not question who he was referring to, but I assumed it was the other commanders. The knots in my stomach tightened. "And if you know what's good for you, you won't ask questions. Neither should your brother."  

   "He would not hurt him," I said, but I did not entirely believe myself. I did not know for sure. 

   "Calliope," Lucien's voice was firm, his eyes relentless. "You do not understand what he will do to me, to your brother, and maybe even to you if he were to find out that we know."

   "And what do we know?" I exclaimed. "The living dead? A walking corpse? Raymund's delusional. He was just trying to scare me." 

   "And if he is right?" 

   I swallowed down the bile. "It is not possible."

   Lucien stepped towards me, "Gods, you are so difficult. Why can you not fathom the danger your brother has put us in?"