Chapter 28 • Into The Night

"I would happily take Death's kiss

So long it came from your sweet lips."

   Was it truly a choice if one path led to the destruction of the world? Cupid seemed to think so and I was not so foolish as to ignore a warning from a God, as improbable as it seemed. Despite the word of divinity, it was Lucien's agreeance with Cupid that made me feel horrible. What the arrow-bearing God had revealed in the woods had struck a cord in him - his soulmate, the one who was supposed to help him save his people, could very well turn her back on the world and on him. It was a ridiculous notion, really. Why in the name of the Gods would I ever choose Sebastian? Why would I ever give up my true soulmate for a pretender? I knew that having a choice of who I was to be with was exactly what I had wanted... when I had thought I would have to stay with Sebastian. But now, I did not want there to be a choice. I wanted Lucien, and whatever horrible alternative path that Cupid seemed to think possible, I wanted to be erased as a probability. 

   "You look beautiful, darling," Mother smiled, watching me from her seat. A table of tea and pastries had been set out before her, a form of entertainment as I tried on another gown she'd selected for me. I stared blankly into the mirror as Morado adjusted my sleeves and skirt, taking in measurements and noting things that may need to be altered before tonight's feast. Why the castle was having a feast in the middle of a gruesome war was beyond me, but apparently, Lord Adrien and his family had arranged it - something about keeping our spirits high while people elsewhere were being slaughtered. I did not understand it, and it seemed Father did not either. 

   He entered the room without warning, storming in through the doors with Lucien following behind him. My heart lept at the sight of my guard and our eyes found their way to each other's in the mirror. It might have been romantic, to always search for one person in a room full of people, but I watched him take in the gown I was wearing - one, as I was just coming to realize, that was covered in frills and bows like a horribly decorated cake. His lips dared to turn upwards, but he somehow managed to mask it as Father began speaking. One of these days, he was going to slip up and he would have to explain to Father why he always happened to be smiling at his daughter... and why she always happened to be smiling at him. 

   "We will not be in attendance of tonight's feast," Father announced and Morado let out an audible, defeated sigh - all his hard work gone to waste. I gave him an apologetic smile. 

   "What?" Mother demanded, her tea threatening to spill all over the rug beneath her as she stood, her gown hitting the table. "What is the meaning of this, Silas? I have already made all the preparations for tonight and chosen a gown for Calliope." Once again, I looked down at the nightmare of a dress and felt glad Father was demanding our absence, although this would not bode well for him, not since Mother had not yet forgiven him about his secret with the council. I supposed she would not forgive him for his denial of moving our family to a safehouse either... if he had told her about it.