When You Walk Away

There they were, far from the boisterous celebration of their teammates. Sakusa observed a scene that felt like the worst spectacle his eyes had ever witnessed. Atsumu, visibly nervous and awkward, resembled a chihuahua on caffeine. His so-called boyfriend, a complete douchebag, wore a forced cynical smile and gripped Atsumu's thigh with excessive strength, causing visible discomfort in the blonde. Sakusa couldn't simply ignore the signs.

Seated on one of the bar's chairs, Sakusa couldn't shake off the bitter taste in his mouth. While the rest of the team reveled in their victory, his attention was drawn to the two figures at a table, supposedly wrapped up in a romantic moment.

Lovebirds, his ass.

The black-haired player found himself questioning why, after all the hardships that man had put Atsumu through, the blonde was still with him. Sakusa couldn't fathom the apparent stupidity clouding his teammate's judgment. Considering getting back with that man seemed like the worst idea Sakusa had ever witnessed.

Observing the scene unfold, Sakusa clenched his jaw as the man received a call, beaming a smile and standing up abruptly, paying no heed to the blonde beside him. That alone sparked a fury within Sakusa that he hadn't experienced before. Making his way towards Atsumu, who sat alone, hugging himself and biting his lip, Sakusa's anger intensified.

"Hey," he said as he took a seat next to Atsumu, causing the older man to jump. "Are you okay?"

"Omi, you scared the hell out of me," Atsumu replied with a soft giggle, and Sakusa felt his heart skip a beat.

"Sorry, but... Are you okay?"

"I'm not weak enough to have a heart attack from a little scare, y'know."

"I'm not talking about that," Sakusa said, leaning a bit closer, prompting an annoyed and exhausted sigh from Atsumu.

"I know... I would like not to talk about that, Omi-kun. It's difficult," the sorrow in his voice weighed heavily on Sakusa's heart. Seeing his usually annoying yet joyful setter so gloomy and hurt felt unnatural, and Sakusa felt an undeniable urge to fix it. However, he knew it wasn't his decision to make.

"Miya, you'll always have a friend in me," Sakusa lied, the words harder to say than the next thing. "Don't worry. I can understand. Let's talk about something else."

Atsumu proceeded to rant about Osamu and Suna being cheesy, discussed how Kita and Aran adopted at least 15 dogs on the farm, and complained about his mother treating him like he's still five. Despite Atsumu's delightful smiles and overjoyed demeanor, his eyes remained dull, devoid of the mischievous spark that usually danced within them.

Everything seemed okay for a moment, until the jerk came back.

The tension in the air escalated as the deceit unfolded before Sakusa's eyes. The boyfriend, wearing a smug expression, approached Atsumu while exchanging an all-too-friendly glance with a girl who had an air of familiarity about her.

Sakusa's eyes narrowed, his suspicions confirmed. He couldn't let this charade continue. Atsumu deserved better, and Sakusa was determined to put an end to the boyfriend's callous behavior.

"What's going on here?" Sakusa's voice cut through the uneasy atmosphere, his gaze piercing through the boyfriend like a dagger.

The boyfriend smirked, clearly unfazed. "Just catching up with a friend. What's it to you?"

Atsumu shifted uncomfortably, sensing the impending confrontation. Sakusa, however, refused to back down.

"You think you can come here and act all high and mighty?" the boyfriend scoffed, attempting to deflect the attention away from his wrongdoing.