There Was Abby (pt.1)

Flashback
(Carol and Abby are 10 years old)

It was Carol's first day as a 5th grader. She was getting into those awkward year's. She never was a social butterfly naturally. Sure, she was good at it but that doesn't mean she loved it.

It was lunch time. She hasn't gotten to talk to anyone really, as she expected throughout the day. Her expectations were to talk with someone, anyone really during a class and perhaps find them at lunch. However, she really hadn't gotten to talk to anyone. She was too nervous.

So, she grabbed her lunch, and she was left with the ye old conundrum of finding a lunch table to sit at... when she didn't know a soul. Great. She breathed in sharply. Her heart was beating out of her chest. She felt a sharp pain where her heart was. These days, we'd call that a panic attack. Carol just thought she was dying from a heart attack. No biggie.

Then, there was Abby. Abby Gerhard sat at a table close by, facing the door. Facing Carol. There were a few others near her but she wasn't really associating with them. She just wasn't sitting alone.

Abby also didn't love associating with people but was good at it. A woman in those times must be good at it to survive. It involved a lot of masking. Abby saw Carol. She noticed her lost face, then her panic. Abby didn't usually do this but she stood up and walked up to her.

"Hello" Abby said. Carol's eyes immediately locked onto her's. Her gaze was intense, even as a child. Carol was silent. "I'm Abby" she held her hand out for Carol to shake, then realized she had her lunch tray in her hands. She awkwardly pulled her hand back and smiled at her.

"Would you like to sit with me? That is... if you don't have any other obligations" Abby said, trying to keep Carol's ego in tact, not wanting to make her feel like charity. Carol smiled at Abby. "Yes" she said, simply. She followed Abby to her table and sat down across from her.

"What was your name?" Abby asked. "Carol" she said timidly. Abby smiled at her. "That's a lovely name" she said, eating her mashed potatoes. Carol smiled sweetly. "Where are you from?" Abby asked. "Cincinnati" Carol said quietly.

"Why here?" Abby asked. Carol got a far out look in her eyes. "Sorry if that was a sore subject" Abby said. "No... it's okay" Carol said, voice cracking. "My mother and father got into an accident. They passed away. I have an aunt here" she said simply. Abby was speechless.

"She didn't... she doesn't want me though" Carol said. An orphan. Abby didn't say a word, just grabbed Carol's hand. Carol looked up at her and Abby smiled at her sincerely. As if to say "I'm sorry, you don't deserve that. I'm here for you now, though". It was comforting. Carol just smiled back at her.

"I'm at Saint Mary's, if you ever want to stop by" Carol said. It was an orphanage just down the street. "What do you do on Sunday's?" Abby asked. Carol just laughed. Abby smiled, dumb question. "Come to my house. On Sunday's" Abby said. Carol looked at her wide eyed. This girl is inviting her to spend every Sunday with her and they hardly knew each other.

"For dinner. My mom is a great cook and we go to church together as a family" Abby rambled on for a bit. Carol tuned all of the details out. "I'd love to" Carol smiled, a crooked smile with her missing canine tooth.

So, it was. Every Sunday, Carol went over to Abby's and had dinner with their family. She went to church with them too. Not that she particularly cared for it. It was just a way to get out and with Abby. They were inseparable. The best of friend's. Abby stepped into Carol's life exactly when she needed it.

Abby's mom was just happy Carol came into Abby's life. Abby was a loner, her nose always stuck in a book. Soon, Carol was coming over every day after school. Not only because she wanted to get away from the orphanage but also because she loved being around Abby.

Abby and her mother were the only constants in Carol's life. She had no family left. No ties. Nothing. Only Abby... and Abby's mom. She eventually found contentment, with this new life. Thanks to Abby and her mom. She found she was happy again.

Carol and Abby were 13 now. "Abby" her mom called. "Yes?" Abby responded. "I want to run something by you" she said, motioning Abby to sit down next to her. "Come, sit down!" Her mom called. "Why do people always think you'll take bad news better sitting down?" Abby griped.

"Come now, stop being so cynical you nitwit" her mom teased. Abby just smiled. "Your friend Carol..." she started. "She's been at that orphanage for a while now" she said. "Yes" Abby said, a bit somberly.

"She comes here everyday anyways. Abby, how would you feel if she were to join us in this house, you know... officially?" She asked. "Mom, I would love that" Abby said, eyes lighting up. "Now I don't know if the orphanage will let me adopt her officially because I am a single woman but they may allow me to house her... You know, if or until someone else comes along" she explained.

"Oh mom, you're an angel" Abby hugged her as tight as she could. Abby's mom just laughed. "Hardly dear but please... don't get your hopes up. You know how these things work. They may not allow it" she cautioned. Abby was already planning how she would set up her room if Carol were to join her though, in her head.

"Abby" her mom scolded. "I mean it. Don't get your hopes up" she said. "Yes mom" Abby rolled her eyes. "I saw that" her mom said, kissing the top of her head. Abby just laughed and got lost in the idea again. She called Carol immediately to tell her the "news".

Abby's mom tried. They did not allow her to take Carol, even unofficially. A single woman "had no business taking on another child" they said. They even put a limit on how much Carol could stay at their house, now that it was brought to their attention.

The girls were devastated, especially Abby. They got to see each other but their days of spending every day with one another came to a close. Carol became deeply depressed. She got more tasks assigned to her at the orphanage. She was labeled a trouble maker because she was "sneaking out" even though she wasn't.