It Would Be Carol

"I'm in love with you"...

   "You're in love with me?" Carol asked. "Yes" Abby said. "I think... I think part of me always has been" she said. Carol stared at their hands, as Abby spoke. "And I think part of me always will... regardless of how you feel about me" Abby said.

   "You know how everyone says we have a soulmate and all that?" Abby asked. Carol just nodded, looking at her, listening, processing. "You're kind of... you're kind of it for me" Abby said. There was a silence. "And you know... I know... I know you might not have an answer for me or be in the right headspace... and that's okay" Abby said.

    "But... you need to know where I'm at with this" Abby said. "And that is?" Carol asked. "With you" Abby said. "Always with you, Carol" she said. "No matter where you take this... no matter where you go" Abby explained. "I have and will always be with you" Abby added.

   "I can't help that anymore than I can help loving you..." Abby said. "So... that's it. That's that..." Abby said. "I see" Carol said. "I'm sorry if that scares you or you don't know what to do with that... but you deserve my honesty" Abby said.

   "You have always been honest with me" Abby added. "So... when you say things like It's a date... just be aware of that" Abby smiled. Carol just looked at her with a look Abby had never seen and couldn't quite place.

   "I understand now, Abby" Carol said. "I apologize if it... makes you uncomfortable" Abby said. Carol looked into her eyes. "It could never... you... could... Never" Carol said.

   Abby felt a blush across her nose and cheeks. There was a silence, as they held hands and their dinner came. "Just, give me some time" Carol said. "I'd give you forever" Abby assured. Then a blush creeped across Carol's face next.

   "Nice rouge, hot shot" Abby teased. "Oh shut up" Carol laughed. They ate their dinner and chatted minimally throughout the night. Carol had a lot to think about with all account's. Her divorce, her daughter, living on her own... Abby.

   Abby understood and she was telling the truth when she said she'd give her forever. She would, a million times over. Forever with Carol. In her arm's or in her heart, it'd always be her. A thousand times over, in a million towns and cities.

   There comes a point when you love someone so much, that no matter how the outcome turns out... they're just a permanent part of you. They're in everything you do, every decision you make and every breath. Present or not.

   They are just as much a part of you, as you are. Your heart beating, with it full of them. A Time Capsule that reminds you of how much you're capable of. How much love you can give and how much you can't because it only belongs to them.

   Abby had accepted this and she understood it. No matter if Carol chose her or not... she'd always choose Carol, in any capacity that Carol wanted. She chose her. Always. Time would tell now how Carol felt and what she'd do.

   They got done at Scotty's and began walking out of the restaurant. They were saying goodbye to one another. The snow was coming down, and the wind cutting through them. "It's a long drive home..." Carol said. "You could stay with me" Carol offered. "We have a pullout couch or you could sleep with me" Carol said.

   "The last time I slept with you Carol... I didn't. All night" Abby laughed. "And why is that Gerhard?" Carol teased. "You know damn well, you nitwit" Abby laughed. "No... I don't" Carol smirked.

   "No?" Abby teased back, sarcastically. "No..." Carol teased. "Want me to say it?" Abby asked. "Say what?" Carol played dumb. Abby laughed at her audacity. "I couldn't sleep that night because you were next to me... the woman I'm in love with... in your underwear and bra...in bed... with..." Carol began laughing.

   Abby smacked her arm. "Nitwit" Abby sassed. "Now don't name call..." Carol laughed. "What are you doing to me Carol? I mean... teasing me, really? What are we in high sc-" Carol cut her off.

   With her lips. She kissed Abby right there on the street. It was dark, snowing, and cold but it was magical. Abby melted under Carol's touch. Carol held Abby's face in her hands, and pulled away from the kiss. Abby looked at her, a smile forming on her lips.

   "Was it because you were thinking about that?" Carol asked. Abby was lost in Carol's eyes and still reeling a bit. Abby cleared her throat. "One might say that..." Abby smiled. "One might, hmm?" Carol teased back. Abby just looked at her with all the love she had in her body.

   "I don't know... I don't know much about my life" Carol said. "I don't know the direction or... where I'll end up" Carol said. "I'm scared, confused and... lost" Carol said. "But Abby Gerhard..." She started. "I do know one thing" she said.

   Abby looked at her for an answer. Carol smiled. "You know, I haven't been honest with you either" Carol said. Abby looked at her, lost in her presence. "I love you" Carol said. "I do know I love you" she clarified. "I suppose part of me always has" Carol smiled.

   "Whether I knew it or not... I do now and I love you" she said. "And I did mean it... I knew what I meant when I said this was a date" she smirked. Abby was dumbfounded. "Just bear with me... this has potential to be a difficult and confusing start. In fact... I guarantee it will be" Carol laughed.

   "But I suppose that doesn't matter because I'll be going through it with my best friend... and the woman I love" Carol said honestly. "Goodnight Abigail. Phone me when you get home, okay?" Carol smiled, walking away. Abby bit her lip and waved to her.

  Carol loved her too...