3. The Pratap's

In Ishwarpur,

The Pratap's were a family of renowned landlords. It was a family knowned for both its riches and good heart. Whenever any villager faced any problem, they used to come to The Pratap Family for help. However what they did not know was the Pratap's were no less than 2 faced individuals.
Their main interest was only accumulating wealth and power. In short run, everything was good for villagers, However, in long run, they would fall under debt trap of paying more and more interest without being able to pay the principal amount and hence loose their lands to head of village, Mr. Veerendra Pratap.

Mr. Veerendra Pratap was a man of steel and heart of stone. At his home, he did not have to keep a facade. From the beginning, he had shown what he truly was to them and even raised a carbon copy, his son Veer Pratap.

Anika was setting the table, making sure everything was at right place and avoiding the wrath of her husband and in laws. Being married for not more than 10 months, she has witnessed and undergone a wide shift in personality. Being married at 24, she at her maternal place has known that men make decisions but the women were also respected for the work they did. She expected the same if not better from her in laws. Alas! Her dreams of getting a better lifestyle was shattered within 1 hour of her Vidaai, as soon as she reached the Pratap Haveli.

Anika sees her husband and father in law entering. She stood at a side with her head lowered. As the two settled down, Anika stepped forward and touched their feet.  The men blessed her and asked her to serve the food. She, with agility and carefully started serving them.

Meera entered the dining area with fresh juice of orange in her hands. She wished Good morning Bauji, Good Morning bhaiya., who just nodded in return. She filled the glasses with juice and served her father and brother.

Veer- Bauji, yesterday Ravinder had come telling that there is a good alliance from a family of Devgarh for Meera.

Meera was startled.

Veerendra- Hmm.. Kaun Hai vo log?

Veer- Ji vo devgarh ki Rathore family.

Veerendra- Rathore's? Prithvi Rathore?

Veer- Ji Bauji. Hame lagta hai baat badhani chahiye.

Veerendra looks at Meera calculatively.

Theek hai.. Gauri..

Gauri- Ji  aapne bulaya

Veerendra- Meera ko taiyaar rakhna, ladke wale dekhne aayenge 2-3 din mein. Hame koi gadbad nahi chahiye.. samjhe. He looks warningly at Gauri.

Gauri submissively nods her head.

Veer- Aap chinta mat kijiye Bauji mai dekh Lunga yeh sab. Aap nashta kariyo.

Aur tum Anika aur Meera, hamare saath chalo.

Gauri- Veer beta, pehle nashta toh Karlo.

He looks angrily at Gauri and leaves from there.

Veerendra- jaao tum dono. Aur tujhe sikhana padega kya ki Kab bolna hai Aur Kab nahi? Idhar aa.. she steps forward and is awarded with a slap.

This was a common occurrence in Pratap Family.

On the other side,

Veer was in his room. Anika and Meera stepped in with their hearts in their mouth.

Veer looks at them and calls Anika to come near him. She stands with her head lowered.

Veer- Hmm. You both Listened to what Bauji said, right.

Both Anika and Meera nod.

Veer- But let me make sure that you both remember it. He takes out his belt and fold it on his hand and suddenly hit Anika with force.

Anika had almost fallen when she balanced herself and stood herself back.

See Meera, this is how you have to behave. I don't want any nuisance on that day. Both of you be prepared.

He sends Meera away.

And then holds Anika tightly and warns her that everything must be perfect. Later Anika brings out handkerchief, socks, shoes of Veer. She sits on her knees and makes him wear it.

Later, Veer just steps away from room and goes out. Meera taking this chance comes to Anikas Room

Meera- Bhabhi, are you okay? I am so sorry, he did this because of me. I am very sorry.. she pleads her in a sobbing voice.

Anika- Meera..bacha.. I am fine. See nothing happened. These one or two hits are nothing now. Do not worry and make your eyes read. If anybody came to know then it would be a problem for you.

Okay, calm down bache.

Meera hugs her tightly. - I am scared Bhabhi. What if I do something wrong? What if they are also like bhai and Bauji?

Anika- Meera, listen to me. Everything will be alright. Do not let your thoughts run wild. See, you have to get married and you heard your bhaiya, he wants you to get married in that family. Either way, you are in lurch. It would be okay.
Calm down.
Let us go down, Ma Ji must be waiting for us.

Downstairs,

Veer and Veerendra have gone. Gauri was Clearing the table. She looks at Anika and Meera.

Gauri- Meera, take your breakfast quickly. And Anika go into kitchen and clean it.

Meera nods and says Ma, Bhabhi hamare saath kha le khane..

Gauri- Anika andar jaao..

Meera understands and take little food.

Gauri- Meera stop interrupting me in between. Anika would do what I say. She has to first finish the work and then eat. Do not forget, now you will be married. Learn things properly and be mindful.
Otherwise be ready. And I would tell Veer about this.

Meera is scared to core now. She has dug a grave for herself and Anika as well.