The One after the impromptu Nikkah

Dear Readers,

This story is being written because I just have to. I got the itch and I have to indulge in it. It is a glimpse into the lives of the Khan children and Meerasim. Little snapshots in time..

For reference, the epilogue is linked below.
https://t.co/CguFEETU8I

Murtasim- Meerab's family

Muntasir Waqas Khan - (M)
Mehr Khan and Maham Khan ( F) ( Twins)
Meraj Khan (M)
Mehrab Khan ( M)
Maaz Khan ( M)
Meesam Khan ( F)

The one after the impromptu Nikkah

In the last decade or so, Meerab Murtasim Khan had often envisioned the Nikkah of her first born. She and Ma Begum had plans on how to receive the bride, the bridal jewellery and themes for each of the wedding program. She had also envisioned a happy Muntasir marrying the girl he loved.

The reality of Muntasir's wedding couldn't be further away from her fantasies. It was an impromptu Nikkah which honestly shouldn't have been held that day at all. But it was not to be. For once the panchayat had approved of  Seher's rishta with Muntasir, Zubair Malik had strode into the inner circle.

" Nikkah aaj aur abhi hoga.." he said gruffly. In spite of the tough demeanor he was trying to project Meerab could see the broken man inside and it wrenched her heart. Seher had frozen upon hearing this proclamation.

" Zubair bhai.." Meerab began in her behalf. " Jald baji karne Ki koi zaroorat nahin hai"

Zubair held up a hand " Jald baji karne ki zaroorat hai. Nikkah aaj aur abhi hoga - Kyunki Seher Malik ab humare ghar waapas nahin jaa sakti. Aur Nikkah ke bina woh tumhare ghar nahin reh sakti.."

A dark silence followed this statement and Murtasim sighed, addressing the man who had once been a nemesis softly " Malik Zubair tum phir se ek galat faisla le rahe ho"

" Thuka hai.. Mere muh pe aaj meri beti thuka hai, Murtasim Khan.." he said still not looking at his daughter. His daughter who had been the apple of his eye.

" Babajaan main toh sirf.." Seher began frantically.

" Tumhara koi Babajaan nahin hai. Maar gaye tumhare Baba. Maar diya tumne. Samajh Lena tum aaj se yatim ho" Zubair Malik said loudly.

This finally broke Seher who had been holding up pretty well until now. She fell down on her knees sobbing " Babajaan, mujhe maaf kar de. Babajaan.. main aapke bina maar jayungi.."

It was Meerab could do was pull the girl back on the sofa as she sobbed uncontrollably. She looked helplessly at her husband, who suddenly took charge. " Nikkah abhi hoga.."

" Muntasir.." Meerab echoed in sad voice. This wasn't what she wanted for her son.

" He will do what needs to be done" Murtasim said, the pride in his voice evident.

It truly wasn't the wedding she had envisioned. There was an inconsolable bride, a frozen groom and a dozen acquaintances that Meerab had left behind decades ago. It reminded of times that were darker.

And it broke her heart. For her son. And for her niece.

She remained passive through out, holding out strong for Seher. The niece she could never shower with love and yet always loved from afar.  Who was Zubair bhai and Saira Bhabi's amanat to her now. She caressed the girl's hair as the shock subsided and the tears ceased. She didn't talk though, merely sat up straight and drank water.

Murtasim entered the room a little while later and told them to get ready.

" Meerab, tum Muntasir aur Seher ko le kar ghar jao.." he said shortly " The cars are ready.."