Pink is for Barbies and little Girls

Dear Readers,

This story is being written because I just have to. I got the itch and I have to indulge in it. It is a glimpse into the lives of the Khan children and Meerasim. Little snapshots in time..

For reference, the epilogue is linked below.
https://t.co/CguFEETU8I

Murtasim- Meerab's family

Muntasir Waqas Khan - (M) 24
Mehr Khan and Maham Khan ( F) ( Twins) 22
Meraj Khan (M) 18
Mehrab Khan ( M) 16
Maaz Khan  ( M) 15
Meesam Khan ( F) 12

Pink is for Barbies and little Girls

Seher Malik wasn't one to sulk and cry. She believed in proactive measures, instead of crying over split milk. But life has a way to mess up with peoples plans. As the days past, it took all that Seher had to forget the words that her mother had told her, to act as if her world had not been turned upside down, and that she had not been basically abandoned by her parents.

The large windows in her room, overlooked the swimming pool and surrounding garden. She often found herself standing there, deep in thought. She was never left her alone, though.Meesam usually sat in a corner in her room, working on an art and craft project that she have learned in school. Mehr was there too. She was helping Seher fix her wardrobe. If one was to be honest, it was her doing almost all of the work. Seher was once again lost in thought.

" I think that's all. Do you like it, Seher? Seher?"

Seher looked up in surprise, unaware that she had been off in her own thoughts.

"I am sorry," she said automatically. "I was just thinking.."

"Is something wrong?" Mehr asked sweetly

"I . . ." she began and then stopped, unsure what she wanted to say or if she wanted to say anything at all. She felt irritated with herself for allowing unnecessary thoughts to cloud her mind.

"Nahin kuch nahin.."

True to her sweet nature, Mehr didn't push but it was evident she was regarding her with sympathy. "Maine tumhari closet thik kardi. I have sorted your clothes as per color and fabric. Silks are on the right side and cotton and regular wear on the left."

She opened the mahogany wardrobe and Seher laughed. Each of her salwar suits have been kept as per color. She had never seen a more organized closet.

" Mehr, yeh Kya hai?"

Mehr smiled " The colors are sorted alphabetically so we have black, blue, green then pink and so on..Thik hai na?"

Seher laughed " Itni organized toh mere khandan ke history koi nahin tha.."

Mehr nodded warily, chewing her lip " Uh- I know.. it's a little weird. But um.. um.. main aise function kar sakti hoon.."

Seher looked at her in confusion

Mehr sat down and said in a calm voice " I am on the spectrum you know.. Autism Spectrum Disorder. I had very low birth weight. Twins mein aisa hota hai.. but it also increases the chances of autism. I was diagnosed when I was five.."

Seher sat down beside her and put a reassuring hand on her arm " Mehr, I am so sorry.."

" Nahin Seher..aap sorry kyun bol rahe ho. I am highly functioning, and because of early intervention, people don't even realize I'm on the spectrum. Do you know autism manifests in different ways? Main jab comfortable situation mein hoti hoon toh mujhe koi problem nahin hoti.. but I get nervous or anxious especially in social situation, my brain signals scramble aur main.. cope main kar pati.." Mehr said softly giving Seher a patient smile. She seemed very aware that she was sharing private matters and didn't seem to want to make Seher uncomfortable.