Demiromantic Struggles

As I mentioned in an earlier part, I'm demiromantic. And don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be demiromantic, but it's pretty annoying sometimes. Demiromantic means someone doesn't feel attracted to people unless they have an emotional bond with someone. I must say, I feel like it could help relationships last if they're starting from a deep emotional bond, which is kind of a perk. But, first, you have to have an emotional relationship with someone, and even then, you won't automatically like everyone you've bonded with. I'm really bad at talking about my emotions, and it's really hard to get me to open up (props to the couple people who got me to spill out my whole life story). This makes it really hard for me to actually like people.

I actually thought I was aromantic for quite some time. I hadn't made a lot of emotional bonds with anyone, so when my friend introduced me to the term aromantic, I thought "Hey, I've never really liked anyone (in a romantic way), that sounds like me." Then I also opened up my mind to the fact I might not be straight and realized I'm lesbian (edit: haha I was *wrong*). I only got into a relationship for the first time a few months ago. I bonded with this person quickly. It started as "Oh, I have a feeling we're going to be great friends" to "Oops I have a huge crush on them."

I think it helped that they were really open about their mental health and were just open in general, something I've never been good at. It could've also helped that because of where we met, we might not have been able to keep in touch (we did end up keeping in contact), so it wasn't too important if I was kind of vulnerable.  Regardless, they created a safe space for me to talk and be open. The day I met them I already found out some things about their mental health, and after just three days of talking, we both opened up a lot more about ourselves. It was then that I started to like them, or at least realized I liked them. Then in some crazy world, they ended up liking me back (I'm still really confused as to how they liked me) and had to courage to admit to liking me (something I'd never be able to do). I honestly admire their way with words. They're much better at talking than I am (I should probably stop going on about how awesome they are).