clay x reader: jealous

"i thought being in brozone meant getting chicks would be easy."

clay is sitting on a stone stair, throwing a hacky sack ball up in the air and catching it with one hand. beside him is his youngest brother and close confidant, branch, forced to listen as clay voiced his insecurities.

"it did," branch smirks, "i'm dating the queen."

clay furrows his brows at him. "well, good for you bro. i'm really, really happy for you!"

branch hisses laughter through clenched teeth before extending his arm to pat clay on the shoulder.

"sorry, clay."

"i just..." clay's eyes dart around before he averts his gaze up, down into the garden, down to where you stood, laughing with floyd. "i mean, come on! floyd?! what has he got that i haven't?!"

branch shrugs. "a killer backstory."

"you're right!" clay nods. "i mean... all he's gotta do is pull out the 'oh boohoo i was kidnapped oh woe is me' card and girls flock to him!"

"tad insensitive—"

"even so!"

the two ruminate their stair-sitting before clay outstretches his arms to crack his knuckles, hops to his feet, and brushes down his favourite sweater. his usual friendly smile is locked into an expression that was more serious. he is determined.

branch looks up at him from below. "where you goin'?"

"there." clay points at you and floyd in the distance. "i'm not gonna literally sit here and watch this happen!"

branch applauds, slightly sarcastically, but mostly in astonishment. "well, okay! clay finds his manliness! finally!"

ignoring branch's regular snark, clay hops down the steps onto the grass and begins his stride over to the two of you. viva waves him over, but instead of running away like he usually does, he continues past her, more determined than he'd ever been.

"floyd, you're so funny!"

"it's just the truth, i'm serious!"

"no way!"

clay clears his throat to make his presence known and the two of you turn to face him. his eyes land on you and suddenly his sweater seems inappropriate for the weather. everything, from the way your tuft of hair curls at the end, the way your eyes light up when you laugh, the way your nose crinkles when you smile, it all reminds him of why he likes you. he tugs at the neck of it as his cheeks flush, and seems to forget whatever it was that he was going to say.

"clay?" your voice breaks him out of his daydream.

clay clears his throat abruptly. "oh, uh... y/n! hey!"

you giggle at his flustered disposition. typical clay, getting his words muddled or stuck in his throat completely. he was a little awkward, but that was part of his charm.

"well hello to you to." says floyd, rolling his eyes and resting his hands in his pockets.

"right," clay scrambles, "hey floyd. what are you guys talking about?"