clay x reader: first kiss

[human au; teen au; no brozone au]
[character age gaps have been modified for story purposes]

"and then he kissed me!" shrieked poppy, spinning in her pink office chair and falling against the backrest all at once. her cheeks were pink, her mouth curled into an excited smile, her eyes sparkling like diamonds in complete and utter wonderment.

you were kids — freshly 14 — and you were entering a new stage in your lives; the stage that involved hormones, and puberty, and, in your case, boys. it wasn't exactly an unwelcome phenomenon, given that you knew that all teenagers must pass this developmental stage in order to reach true maturity, but it was unfamiliar and unavoidable, which made it all the more terrifying.

still, poppy had checked a box that you hadn't dared even begin to think about yet, and you were happy for her.

"poppy! this is incredible!" you hopped off her pastel-quilted bed (which was still covered head to foot in plush toys and stuffed animals, something that indicated that she was only in the transitional phase of puberty. you wondered quietly if she was going to throw them into careless storage units soon, and hoped in secret that she would not, remembering all the occasions in your childhood in which you had played with them together in your blissful childhood and weren't sure if you were ready to give all that up quite yet. you weren't ready for occasion to become nostalgia.) and grabbed her shoulders to shake her like a festive bobble head.

smile agape, her head rolled rhythmically as giggles sounded from the back of her throat. "i know, i know!" she jumped out of her seat and hugged you tight, bunny-hopping in tremulous jitters of unabated elation, and you soon joined her. 

"and like, branch is so hot." you added, stopping your celebratory leaps in an abrupt fashion.

popped nodded back. "oh my god, i know! i can't believe he actually wanted to kiss me!"

"poppy, you're like the prettiest girl in the entire world, of course he did!"

and while your world view was skewed to a small scale at only 14, and your commendation wasn't particularly verbose or profound, but rather kiddish and vague, your compliment hung in the air with an air of ingenuity. in your mind, it was true — poppy was in fact, gorgeous, and you did not yet understand the complexities of human nature and dynamics in personalities and why anybody might not seek a relationship, romantic or platonic, with your best friend. her skin was almost clear, her cheeks rosy. her smile was crooked and over-bitten but full and genuine and with a distinct charm. her eyes twinkled in the sunlight and her long hair was silken and bouncy. she was beautiful, despite her adolescent imperfections, and the lilt in your voice as you told her made her believe you.

she beamed at you. "thanks, girl. you're like, way prettier, though."

"no way, are you crazy?" you spoke harshly without thinking, gagging while sticking your tongue out.

poppy giggled her signature cute giggle and grabbed your hand, pulling you down to sit beside her on her plush bed. "speaking of you, branch told me something."

"oh, yeah?" your interest piqued. it was typical poppy to change the topic to someone else in her own moments of joy, but you couldn't deny that you were intrigued. "what's that?"

"you know his older brother?" her smile crawled up her apple cheeks with such energy that her lip quivered.

puzzled, you push for elaboration. "uhh, poppy? which one?"