brozone + reader: family [clay]

[i had a few requests for a chapter along the lines of you being the younger sister, and so i decided to combine some of the requests. typically i will only do x readers, but i'll make an except because this request is adorable.]

"come on guys!" spouts john dory, your eldest brother. you trail behind him, exasperated and ready for a water break.

also accompanying you on your voyage are spru—bruce, second oldest to john dory, a barrel of laughs with incredible hair. on his stomach, sitting in a baby holster, is effervescent tiny diamond. next to you stand poppy, queen of the pop trolls and your close confidant, and branch, your brother closest in age. usually, he is sarcastic, brimming with irony, but today, he is relentless. you hadn't seen him this serious since the bergens used to attack.

"hey," you nudge him, "you okay?"

he startles for a moment, but quickly regains his composure, rolling his shoulders back. "yeah, don't worry, y/n. i'm just..."

"nervous?" you cut in.

he smiles. "yeah. i haven't seen clay since... well, you were a newborn. you won't remember."

"i've heard the stories."

"i know," his gaze lands at his feet as you trudge further down the path, "i'm just worried."

"about clay?"

shaking his head, he looks back at you. "about floyd. what if by the time we get there..."

before he can finish his sentence, poppy tunes back into the conversation, slinging her pink arms around the two of you. she notices your fallen expressions and adjusts hers accordingly.

"hey," she scolds, but not in an overly serious manner, "no sad faces. everything's gonna be fine. we're gonna grab clay, make him do the rusty robot, and then go save floyd."

though there are no certainties in her promises, poppy has a way of making you trust in her optimism. you and your brother nod slowly, soft smiles creeping up onto your face.

"you're right," branch says softly, "this is gonna be fine."

she gleams. "that's the spirit!"

branch continues. "it's just crazy to me," his eyes search yours, "that you don't remember the others at all. that you were only a baby when all this went down. i mean, i was little too, but i could at least form sentences and form memories. you don't even know what they look like except for photos of them in picture frames."

you chuckle, not because you find his statements particularly amusing, but because you don't know how else to react. in his words lay your truest fears, the fears you didn't want coming to fruition, or at the very least, surfacing, because you didn't want branch to worry about you more than he already is. it's true that john dory and bruce had been happy to see you, hugged you tight and promised never to leave their baby sister again, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard. being the sibling that knew nobody. being the sibling that nobody knew.

"i just," branch sighs, snapping you from your turbulent thoughts, "i always wonder what would happen if we were separated, too. because if i was old enough to leave, and i'd have to take grandma, look after her... you never would've known you had brothers in the first place..."