The Arrival

Theo watched with wide eyes as his father sped down an empty road, "Dad, what is going on?"

His father took a deep breath and glanced at him, "I thought I had enough time to explain and drop you off with Sally. I don't so I'm taking you to camp by myself."

Theo's brows furrowed, "Camp? What camp? I just got home."

"It's the place your mom told me about, for kids like you. Demigods. It's a summer camp, essentially."

Theo stared at his father in shock, "You're driving like something is chasing us....for a summer camp." He scoffed, "You've officially lost it."

A giant crash of thunder rumbled through the dark sky, shaking the car.

A flash of light streaked across the sky, illuminating a giant figure chasing the car, catching Theo's eye.

"Uh Dad?"

"Yes, Theo?"

"There's something chasing us."

Marcus' gaze followed his son's, "Shit." He pressed harder on the gas.

Theo glared at him, "Language."

Marcus laughed incredulously, "A giant monster is chasing us, and you're worried about my language. God, you remind me of your brother."

Theo rolled his eyes before turning his gaze back behind them, trying to catch a glimpse of the monster.

It was huge, that much was clear. As the lightning flashed Theo was able to see the wings.

Its silhouette confused Theo, its size made it seem like a lion or a horse but he could see the outline of its beak, not forgetting it had wings.

"Dad!" He shouted. Marcus looked at him from the corner of his eye.

"Theo, I need you to stay calm a--"

"Stay calm? That things trying to kill us!"

A loud screech filled the air as claws broke through the roof of the car.

Marcus swore, "Dammit, not the car."

Theo merely glared at him as he tried to steady himself. A crash sounded in front of them as a tree began falling into the road ahead of them.

Marcus pressed harder on the gas as he tried to beat the tree.

Theo felt his head bang against the window as the monster hit the side of the car, causing it to swerve into a circle.

Marcus hurriedly unbuckled him and his son as he tried pushing his son into motion.

The tree fell into the back of the car, crushing it and effectively trapping it.

Theo shook his head to clear it, pushing on the door hoping to budge it.

"Move," his dad spoke, pulling out a pointy metal object Theo couldn't see clearly, reaching over him and shattering the window before doing the same on his side.

Theo forced his hands to still as he pulled himself out of the window, falling out and feeling cuts from the small glass over his hands and back.

"Theo, look at me," Marcus commanded, "Do you see that tree up there? I need you to run as fast as you can, get past that tree and do not look back."

Theo was shaking his head before he finished speaking, "I'm not leaving you."

Marcus looked at his son through tears, "It'll leave me alone, it's you it wants." He pulled his son in a tight hug, pressing a kiss against his crown, "Now go."