REGRET

I stared out into the starry sky, leaning against the ship's cild, metal railing. I listened to the ocean's yawning. The smell of salt water was unfortunately familiar for me. A shaky breath escaped my lips as I crossed my arms.

                        "Y/N's dead."

I shuddered as I recalled what had happened. She... Screamed, then fell into the darkness and... Disappeared.

Uncle Iroh... Was taken captive. And... The Avatar is dead, too.

Azula was right. If Y/N had gone with the Avatar, she'd be with her siblings. She'd be alive. She'd be safer.

I took the plastic butter-fly out my pocket.

Something's wrong with me.

"Aren't you cold?" I turned around and saw Mei stepping closer to me.

"...Not really, no." I whispered.

It's been three years since I've been home. Three whole years have gone by.
Most of those years were ones I spent without Y/N. So, why... Why does this hurt so much more?

Mei seemed to notice the butter-fly in my hands, as she brought out a small paper butter-fly.

"Is she really... Dead?" Mei inquired.
I didn't answer.
"...Geez, okay. How are you feeling?"

I sighed, "Frustrated. I-I... I convinced myself she was dead a long time ago. I convinced myself that I was the reason she was dead."

"That was proven wrong. She was still alive, and she still cared about me. She... Loved me. And now... She's really gone. And it really is my fault."

"I mean, I can't say much, since I wasn't there when it happened. But I know that even if it is your fault, Y/N wouldn't hate you. " Mei stated.

"...How do you know that?" I asked, staring at the deep, swaying tides.

"She was weird. And she was stupidly sweet, and annoyingly compassionate about being loving." Mei continued,

"You guys have been close for years, and even when I hurt her, she still wanted to be my friend. She... Really loved you, Zuko."

I remained silent.

The warmth of our kiss...

I shut my eyes as our lips made contact, a warm sensation was flowing through my body. The feeling of her hands on my chest as she pulled me closer made my heart race. I held her tighter, wishing that moment would never end.

The love in your words...

"You gave me hope. Even when it's dark and seems like there's no way out for us, I will never give up on you! B-Because...
Because I love you, Zuko."

Your patience and kindness...

"You just needed the people you love." I said. "I needed you, too. Every time I felt alone, I would always go back to the one thing I had to remember you. I missed you, Zuko."

All of it, every single thing about you...

"I loved her, too." I whispered, "With all my heart, I... I loved her."

Mei let out a somber chuckle. "I could tell."

She stepped away from me, "Try to keep yourself together, Zuko."

Y/N... Uncle...
____________________________///■

We had arrived in the capital of the Fire Nation. I was home.