Chapter 20

Midoriya looked around the lobby of the now-finished Homeless Rehabilitation Center opening first thing in the morning. Renovations were quick, and he was able to get a lot of donations of furniture and clothing of every size.

"Are you ready to head home?" Alya asked as she held her sleeping sister. Amara was in the playroom with Bakugo, cleaning up the toys she'd been playing with, while Bakugo and Midoriya got the studio rooms set up with single and double beds.

"You know what, I think Kacchan and I are going to stay a little while longer. Let me call you three and Uber," Midoriya replied.

"We can nap in the lobby," she replied. She hadn't started her new job yet and felt guilty that they were still paying for everything for her.

"I don't know how long we'll be." Midoriya opened the app and ordered her Uber. "We have plans for some more organizing we need to get done. You need to be back early in the morning, so head home and get some rest."

"Are you sure?" she asked again.

Midoriya nodded. He and Bakugo only had to organize the children's toys and clothes, which wouldn't take too long. He mainly just wanted some time when nobody else was around so they could talk.

It'd been four days since New Year's, and nothing else had blossomed. There weren't any more kisses or hugs. They didn't talk about what happened during New Year's, and they didn't talk about where things were going. They both pretended nothing happened before falling asleep on opposite ends of the bed, their fingers intertwined in the middle.

"All done," Amara cheered as she ran into the room with a wide smile.

"We'll come here in the morning and get everything ready. When we head out to gather people, we can drop Amara off at school if that's okay with you," Midoriya said. "Akira can stay here and hang out in the playroom." Even if he was the guardian of Amara and Akira, he still tried to let Alya have control over what was happening since the long-term goal was for them to live with her.

"Sounds good. I can lock up behind me if you two want to get started on whatever you have to finish—"

"You're not coming home?" Amara grabbed Bakugo's arm and squeezed tightly. While she was staying on the streets, Alya convinced her it was safe to sleep because Russ would protect them. She then convinced her it was safe to sleep at the house because of the two heroes. Without them being there, Amara was terrified.

"No, but we're a phone call away. If Alya calls us and says we need to come home, we'll be there super fast. I promise." Bakugo set his hand on her head and tilted it back so she looked up as he spoke. "You'll be fine. I promise."

"What if I have a nightmare?" Amara asked.

"Then Alya will take care of you. You're safe with her." Although she didn't like using her quirk since it cost her some of her memory, she would use it in a heartbeat if it could save her sister.

"Will you be there in the morning?"

"Yes we will be. We'll have breakfast together like we always do," Midoriya said.

Amara nodded with a sigh. "I'll see you in the morning." She didn't sound thrilled about them staying behind, but neither were ready to call it a night.

"Call either of us if you need anything," Midoriya told Alya.

"I will. I'll see you two at seven in the kitchen for breakfast." When they finished their goodbyes, they left the girls waiting by the front door as they made their way out the back and to the warehouse.