Season 5 Episode 1-Geopolitics

By promoting domestic manufacturing overseas, George Washington led his country through an economic depression the world had never seen. Thanks to his legislation, Alvarethian businesses had the opportunity to sell their products at more competitive prices in global markets compared to imported goods from foreign commercial enterprises. Furthermore, his laws, which were designed to revitalize neglected infrastructure projects, have not only led to unparalleled economic growth across the nation but have also set our rivals in Ishtar back economically during the Great Depression. It was a shock that he decided to step down. The reasons behind his decision to step back puzzled the people, yet their doubts were swiftly dispelled as they tuned in to his Farewell Address, delivered live on television. He expressed his gratitude to the citizens of Alvarez for their unwavering trust in him. Furthermore, he concluded with a cautionary message, highlighting the dangers of extremism resulting from the disintegration of the established social structure in Alvarez. He then went into retirement, while Parliament scrambled all over for a worthy successor. The anticipation and speculation around who will fill his shoes reached a fever pitch, with political pundits and citizens alike eagerly awaiting the announcement. As the days turned into weeks, rumors began to swirl, and factions within Parliament started to form, each lobbying for their preferred candidate. Initially, the public and legislators dismissed George Washington's warning of extremism as outlandish. His Farewell Address was perceived by many as an exaggerated response to economic changes, leading them to believe that he was unjustifiably pessimistic. However, when a dictator took the throne and imposed oppressive laws, it became clear that George Washington's warnings were accurate. The predictions of extremism came true when the dictator attempted to overthrow the established social hierarchy in Alvarez and seize power through sheer force. His name was Charlemagne, an unknown nobleman who unsuccessfully ran against Washington for the throne decades ago. Following his defeat, he discreetly retreated to his family's estate in Frankia, a fiefdom on the western outskirts of Alvarez populated by Franks, Bavarians, Frisians, Danes, and Goths, biding his time for the perfect moment to reclaim power. Washington's retirement was that opportunity he was waiting for, so he took it unapologetically. He gained power in Vistarion by making concessions to the extreme right-wing in the electoral college, including reductions in social welfare spending and the abandonment of globalization. Thanks to his shrewd political maneuvering, Charlemagne was able to quickly rise to the pinnacle of power in Vistarion. His passionate followers celebrated his ascent as a pivotal moment for the country, whereas his critics saw it as the beginning of a turbulent period. Months after Charlemagne was crowned emperor, he quickly began to betray his supporters in the Electoral College. He had them placed under house arrest for treason and began to strip away the rights he promised them in exchange for their votes. He also implemented oppressive laws that restricted the rights of the people and denied them basic human rights. Parliament was dissolved permanently as well as the Supreme Court of the Empire, granting him limitless power as the Emperor. Charlemagne even went so far as to execute those who opposed him and threatened his power. His reign of terror only ended when he was overthrown and arrested in a popular uprising. But he was later acquitted by a court ruling in his favor. The acquittal caused outrage among the people, leading to further unrest and division in the empire. Many saw it as a betrayal of justice and a sign of continued oppression. He reinstated himself as Emperor, dislodging his successor after only three months in power. The people's frustration and anger grew as the cycle of instability continued, deepening the divide within the empire. The reinstatement of the former Emperor only fueled the flames of resistance and rebellion. Nonetheless, his experience in court hardened him to the point he became an autocrat of a monarch who would use force to do whatever he wished. It was his right as Emperor to coerce his lawmakers into passing the bills he favored and rejecting those he did not. Charlemagne employed these laws to gradually diminish the authority of the defunct legislative branch and instead consolidate it within the executive. Courtesans who opposed his domestic policies were banished from court without a fair trial. The Emperor's power seemed limitless, as he continued to exert control over every aspect of the court. However, his autocratic rule sparked outrage among the nobility and eventually led to a full-scale revolt against his reign. In order to strengthen his hold on power, he orchestrated an election for a subordinate Parliament, exclusively consisting of handpicked MPs who were loyal to him. In it, his favored politicians would win the race and take their seats in Parliament, in exchange for swearing unconditional fealty to the emperor. But only three months had passed, and the emperor used his new power to close the weak Parliament, before lawmakers could reconvene after a holiday recess. The move stunned the nobility and further fueled the growing backlash against the emperor's rule. Many saw it as a blatant display of dictatorship and tyranny, leading to even greater unrest within the kingdom. They, along with the jobless lawmakers, attempted to challenge him in court, but the judge dismisses the cases. Being aware of the emperor's influence over the judges, they escaped the country under the cover of night. With a resolute vow to avenge, the unemployed Members of Parliament vanished alongside a significant portion of the imperial nobility. They then emerged, supposedly in Ishtar, as delegates of the Continental Parliament, a bicameral legislative building where each lawmaker represented a kingdom in Ishtar. They quickly gained support from other nations that also opposed the emperor's autocratic rule, setting the stage for a united front against his tyranny. As they convened in the grand halls of the Continental Parliament, whispers of rebellion and revolution grew louder, echoing the collective discontent of the people.